TOC/NightBEAT Winston-Salem, NC - July 30

21 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

What's so crazy about the Cavaliers  numbers?

theyve consistently been 5th in most captions all season long and their percussion has been anywhere from 1-5 and the guard is a top 3 caption. 

The crowd is eating up this show and the members are performing the bejeezus out of it. 

Arguably the best all around corps the Cavaliers have fielded since 2011. 

As far as being 1 point behind the Bluecoats, the only real caption they have over the Cavaliers is the Brass/Music. GE really isn't that far off. 

you're using the close scoring to justify the close scoring

Cavaliers are doing well - some of us are just saying that the spread should be more like 2-3 points based on what's on the field in terms of content and execution between the 2 corps. It's totally just an opinion thing. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

What's so crazy about the Cavaliers  numbers?

theyve consistently been 5th in most captions all season long and their percussion has been anywhere from 1-5 and the guard is a top 3 caption. 

The crowd is eating up this show and the members are performing the bejeezus out of it. 

Arguably the best all around corps the Cavaliers have fielded since 2011. 

As far as being 1 point behind the Bluecoats, the only real caption they have over the Cavaliers is the Brass/Music. GE really isn't that far off. 

It's the "show me the money" time of the season and the Cavies are getting cleaner than Coats.  90% of the time performance will trump rep the last couple weeks of the season.  That being said Coats are getting cleaner with the changes they have made but still have the most cleaning of the top 7 to do.  I still think their rep numbers will be enough to keep them ahead of Cavies and if they clean enough it could still get interesting with SCV and BD.

59 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

And their brass is probably what's keeping them out of 4th right now. I think quite the opposite and feel this is the best the cavaliers have sounded in years. The approach to their sound and book is different but to say they have nowhere near the sound is well...

even in the championship years the Cavaliers never sounded like every other corps.

If you check out the recaps the brass judges (field) have consistently awarded them pretty good marks. Even remember a few shows with them beating SCV. 

should every corps sound exactly the same? Just like visual and design I'd find that to be quite boring. 

Cavies always had a unique sound agreed but I'd have them under BAC and Cadets in Brass as well as Musical Anal. Music is a bit choppy. Judges have been very generous with Cavies in those areas this season IMO. Guard is just amazing though. I'd have Cavies, BAC and Cadets all within a point of one another. The 2.5+ gap has been nuts. Again IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

And their brass is probably what's keeping them out of 4th right now. I think quite the opposite and feel this is the best the cavaliers have sounded in years. The approach to their sound and book is different but to say they have nowhere near the sound is well...

even in the championship years the Cavaliers never sounded like every other corps.

If you check out the recaps the brass judges (field) have consistently awarded them pretty good marks. Even remember a few shows with them beating SCV. 

should every corps sound exactly the same? Just like visual and design I'd find that to be quite boring. 

Agree. Not saying they don't sound great, but in my opinion they don't have the total ensemble sound that the judging community tends to reward. Some of this is likely their show design. Crown, BD and Bluecoats all stage their brass in several areas of the show specifically for that big ensemble sound demo, and Cavaliers is all over the place the entire show. 

I loved the show in Nashville, they have come a long way this season. But in my opinion this is not a show design or a brass line that merits a medal. They look really young, compared to the top four, so if they retain members they could challenge for a medal next year. That's quite an accomplishment!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Agree. Not saying they don't sound great, but in my opinion they don't have the total ensemble sound that the judging community tends to reward. Some of this is likely their show design. Crown, BD and Bluecoats all stage their brass in several areas of the show specifically for that big ensemble sound demo, and Cavaliers is all over the place the entire show. 

I loved the show in Nashville, they have come a long way this season. But in my opinion this is not a show design or a brass line that merits a medal. They look really young, compared to the top four, so if they retain members they could challenge for a medal next year. That's quite an accomplishment!

They ( Cavaliers ) aren't using the extensive mic'ing of the brass like the other 4. I was at the Atlanta show on Saturday...and being that up-close I found it kind of disturbing to see the whole Bluecoats brass line on the left field back in the endzone, and hear the brass line coming out of PA speaker on the far right. Just one example. I really wish DCI would restrict mic's to solos ( or potentially get rid of them all together) . 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, eightyonepointthree said:

Caught in 1999, 2001, 2004, 2008.  If we can go back a little further, DEFINITELY caught in 1995.  Caught by Regiment in 2006.  Sometimes they get too confident in a program and their ability to outperform others that they forget that sometimes the corps chasing them are catching them because they have more content.

So their failure is not having 20 DCI titles because they got caught? Hey...love that way of thinking.

11 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

which is very strange because if anyone in DCI has guard figured out, it is BD... wonder if that has happened to them at any other point this summer, or if this judge got an outlier read on the show...

edit: if you take it to the extreme, picture a horn line standing still playing mary had a little lamb perfectly.  Their content would be super low because it is easy, but they would be executing at a very high level.

These sub caption numbers mean very little at this stage of the game.  It's just manipulating numbers to get to a .1 or .2 spread.  That's about it.  Don't read too much into it.  

18 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

They ( Cavaliers ) aren't using the extensive mic'ing of the brass like the other 4. I was at the Atlanta show on Saturday...and being that up-close I found it kind of disturbing to see the whole Bluecoats brass line on the left field back in the endzone, and hear the brass line coming out of PA speaker on the far right. Just one example. I really wish DCI would restrict mic's to solos ( or potentially get rid of them all together) . 

I reported the same from Nashville. Was even worse for Blue Devils.

Okay, here's the skinny on a few things last night:  

I was there.

Best show of the season - late season, outdoor venue, perfect weather.

Colts:  Sorry.  Missed 'em.  Took  too long to get in the stadium.   Huge lines to enter.   Record crowd of 10,500.

Troopers: Nessun Dorma one of my favorite hits of the season. 

Madison:  Intriguing look.  Costuming and field fit so well together.  

Mandarins:  Incredible show concept.  Props are massive.  Many different looks - constuming, props, tarps. Perfect blend of show concept and visuals.   Hope they make finals - well deserved.  

Crossmen: Love the brass book.  

BAC: Where there's smoke, there's fire.   Burn, baby burn!    (PS - best use of vocalist this year!)

The Academy:  Saw them on Flo, the show was okay.  Saw them live, and loved the show.  A very underrated show this year.

SCV: Perhaps I was a victim of overhype, this show can win  Met my expectations but didn't exceed them.  

Cavies:  Reminded us of Xtrordinay - this show is a fun, fun show.  Well done, Rosemont!

Phantom Regiment:  Enjoyed the music... the Fantasy stuff, no further comment :(

Bluecoats:  If Bloo finishes 4th, DCI is in great shape. In some ways, I like this show even more than last year. I wonder how Jagged Line would be judged if there were never a Downside Up.  Bloo's show is a Blast!

The Cadets:  Okay, I may not be in vast majority. But, I LOVE this show!!!  Cadets have reallly brought this show along since I first saw them in Spring Training.   If it weren't for The Cadets having such high expectations year after year, I think folks just might appreciate this show even more. 

Blue Devils - As only one of four  corps I hadn't seen live from this group (SCV, Mandarins, PR the others), unlike SCV, BD not only met my expectations, they FAR exceed them.  Coming into the night, I expected SCV to get their first win of the season over BD.   But, after seeing BD, I knew the Concord Blue Devils would win.   If I had to nit pick, the Diamond sound stuff is a bit programmatic. Not my favorite part of the show, but who's perfect for everyone?   Love the Strarting Line stuff, the rifles, snares, staging, music. Just incredible.

Carolina Crown - "The home team".   CC certainly did not disappoint the hometown fans.  Luscious CrownBRASS.   I would have CC ahead of SCV - but that's me.  Recaps show that giving up a fulll point in guard and 1/2 point in GE was the differnce last night.   BUT, Crown is not done with the show.   Perhaps one more change coming???  We'lll see.  

Great night.  Drum corps is alive and well!  

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 5