TOC/NightBEAT Winston-Salem, NC - July 30

The audio stream of this show was the best I have heard from Flo this year.  In particular were subtleties and counterpoint in Ouroboros that we had not heard before that were just exquisite.

Edited by HouserCD

1 hour ago, SNModdison said:

I would think any year that the Blue Devils don't win, they get caught by someone. They always start out at the top. 

Even "Yowza, Yowza, Yowza?" 

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Exactly.  Horrible draw and they still are in sixth.  Imagine when it's three days head-to-head?  Go BAC! 

This is usually a pivotal week for Boston Crusaders. They'll have a home show which will be the only one this year which should be huge for them as far as enthusiasm is concerned  since so many of us have yet to see the show live.  The Friday prior to Allentown has been used to recharge the corps for the final push--one year they played the National Anthem at a Red Sox game, last year they visited Most Precious Blood Church, the first home of the corps, don't know if they have anything planned this year. Allentown usually goes well for BAC. Cadets edging closer does make me a bit nervous, but I expect to see even more momentum this week.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Narrow said:

Sucks not having a more traditional regional. The order of performance is all messed up and corps split between different shows.

Most likely just a one year thing. With the old Georgia dome not being available (they are likely beginning a tear down process) and with the new stadium not ready, DCI had to find a different venue. My initial thought at the time was why not try to get Georgia Tech for the Southeastern Regional? But who knows, with all the traffic in downtown Atlanta and all the construction going on with the new stadium, maybe that was not a good move. Then I thought why not try to get UGA's stadium in Athens? But some colleges and universities can be difficult to work with for these types of events. 

I have no idea what DCI did try, but ultimately the split regional was their solution. One positive in all this is that the folks that attended the Winston-Salem, NC show (NIghtbeat at Wake Forest University) got to see a lot of drum corps. That show was much better than just seeing a TOC show. I continue to dislike the TOC. Time for it to end. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

A one point spread between the Bluecoats and Cavaliers is so laughable, I can't even begin to understand that

posted from the DrumScorps app

I like Cavies but some of the numbers they're posting are just nuts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Most likely just a one year thing. With the old Georgia dome not being available (they are likely beginning a tear down process) and with the new stadium not ready, DCI had to find a different venue. My initial thought at the time was why not try to get Georgia Tech for the Southeastern Regional? But who knows, with all the traffic in downtown Atlanta and all the construction going on with the new stadium, maybe that was not a good move. Then I thought why not try to get UGA's stadium in Athens? But some colleges and universities can be difficult to work with for these types of events. 

I have no idea what DCI did try, but ultimately the split regional was their solution. One positive in all this is that the folks that attended the Winston-Salem, NC show (NIghtbeat at Wake Forest University) got to see a lot of drum corps. That show was much better than just seeing a TOC show. I continue to dislike the TOC. Time for it to end. 

My guess is it is promoter relationships.

What's so crazy about the Cavaliers  numbers?

theyve consistently been 5th in most captions all season long and their percussion has been anywhere from 1-5 and the guard is a top 3 caption. 

The crowd is eating up this show and the members are performing the bejeezus out of it. 

Arguably the best all around corps the Cavaliers have fielded since 2011. 

As far as being 1 point behind the Bluecoats, the only real caption they have over the Cavaliers is the Brass/Music. GE really isn't that far off. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

What's so crazy about their numbers?

theyve consistently been 5th in most captions all season long and their percussion has been anywhere from 1-5 and the guard is a top 3 caption. 

The crowd is eating up this show and the members are performing the bejeezus out of it. 

Arguably the best all around corps the Cavaliers have fielded since 2011. 

Their guard book and performance is crazy challenging and they are killing it on the field.

But their brass is not in the same league as the top four. I'd put them behind Boston and Cadets as well. No offense to them, they seem young compared to their scoring peers, but they don't have anywhere near the sound of those corps. Jmho.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Their guard book and performance is crazy challenging and they are killing it on the field.

But their brass is not in the same league as the top four. I'd put them behind Boston and Cadets as well. No offense to them, they seem young compared to their scoring peers, but they don't have anywhere near the sound of those corps. Jmho.

And their brass is probably what's keeping them out of 4th right now. I think quite the opposite and feel this is the best the cavaliers have sounded in years. The approach to their sound and book is different but to say they have nowhere near the sound is well...

even in the championship years the Cavaliers never sounded like every other corps.

If you check out the recaps the brass judges (field) have consistently awarded them pretty good marks. Even remember a few shows with them beating SCV. 

should every corps sound exactly the same? Just like visual and design I'd find that to be quite boring. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1