Lighting: The new frontier

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

That might be cool to see; but the voting corps already allow adult non-member engineers to control the sound boards live during what is supposed to be a youth-only contest, do you really want adult non-member engineers to also control the lighting systems during those same live youth performances?

No. If it were done I would want it controlled via the kids on the field. 

• Like 1

Adjusting house lighting is never going to happen, but I feel confident lighting effects are going to make a play in the next few years. We have enough stages already, all those stages need is a roof to make it happen. Big tents, or even a stage like we saw for the pit in Blast are all possible.

On 8/2/2017 at 1:25 PM, Western Burger said:

My very first thought was - don't those stadium lights take like 30 minutes to turn back on? My next thought was "oh hell no, just no" 

With the newer LED technologies being used in stadium lights, they are pretty much "instant on, instant off." A local high school stadium switched to LED lights and they are at 100% brightness as soon as you turn them on. And I know the new MN Vikings Stadium has a first-of-its-kind lighting system. Check out this video to see how quickly they can make adjustments. This was just their first test of the system:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/US-Bank-Stadiums-First-Unofficial-Light-Show/1ec4edec-9e52-43a7-b5a6-42976fa790a7

And here is an article that talks specifically about the old "delay" problem and the problem with lighting for halftime shows for the Super Bowl and how this system gives them so many more options. Are drum corps shows much different than halftime shows in those regards?

http://www.vikings.com/news/new-stadium/article-1/Why-Vikings-Fans-will-love-US-Bank-Stadiums-LED-Lights/ccbe723f-2c38-4c05-8d37-810dc2cff276

So if it's all run by computer, why couldn't a corps staff just be able to upload their lighting control program to the system and run it as part of their show?

Edited by combia1