What Chester Makes Makes Chester - TOC Show August 3rd

Why so much doom and gloom about Bloo? I feel like a lot of people are focusing in on their spread from Cavies rather than their spread from Crown. 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Why so much doom and gloom about Bloo? I feel like a lot of people are focusing in on their spread from Cavies rather than their spread from Crown. 

I think Cavies can beat them both. It's going to be really fun to watch the "Battle for the Bronze" next week.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I think Cavies can beat them both. It's going to be really fun to watch the "Battle for the Bronze" next week.

I agree, they've been severely underestimated this whole season 

• Like 4

Bloo was not on fire tonight like I've seen from them in the past. I definitely think that the electronics issues has a psychological effect on the performers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

well, they DO complete musical thoughts, but they go through them very quickly just as the judges want and reward. Their show is more different than others this year. The entire middle portion of the show reminds me of a nature show describing man. the music is the background. I may have ordered a show where music is the approach, but they're offering something different, and it seems to be working ok for them this season thematically.

posted from the DrumScorps app

It's hard for newer fans like Cappybara to understand this distinction between "presenting" music (as 100% of drum corps shows used to do not too long ago) and just "using" music (to support a theme, which unfortunately is happening more and more). I don't blame him; it's not immediately apparent and takes a while to get. But until both parties understand this, it's impossible to have a meaningful discussion about drum corps show design.  Once you understand it though, it's impossible not to view each show through this lens.

Just now, pudding said:

Bloo was not on fire tonight like I've seen from them in the past. I definitely think that the electronics issues has a psychological effect on the performers. 

Exactly my thoughts on the 50 about 22 rows up. You could tell they could tell. I'd seen them in Atlanta a few days prior and their performance was much relaxed and locked in.

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

For me it was because I've *never* seen electronics malfunction this bad since they became legal in 2004. Ever. I almost didn't believe it. It was weird not being able to enjoy this show tonight...left a sour taste in my mouth.

Well the electronics issue makes me feel better as a Bluecoats fan and their score, but not so good for the fans. That ballad is incredible live. As long as everything gets fixed by next week I'm good. Never wanna hear any excuses come finals week. I want an all out brawl for finals and also medal placement.

44 minutes ago, pudding said:

Tonight I felt that it was very difficult to evaluate brasslines, because when there was goo and/or electronic reinforcement, the sound was artificially loud and hard to discern, but when those things were lacking (and hence there was just the natural sound of the horns) it sounded way too quiet to distinguish quality. I would say that the Cavaliers definitely deserved 2nd in brass tonight, they had a very powerful mello line (and, as someone else pointed out, a very good center of tone). However, even with them, there was a LOT of artificial volume inflation. 

It's interesting to hear someone who marched so recently even acknowledge goo. (FWIW I don't remember Bluecoats 2014 being a particularly bad offender there.) I always just assumed members don't ever think about it, or think drum corps always sounded like that. Has a member ever mentioned concerns about it to staff, namely that the goo is almost always entirely too loud, and physically cannot blend with a brass ensemble?