What Chester Makes Makes Chester - TOC Show August 3rd

6 hours ago, tommynev said:

Were you at the show? From the reports I read about their performance in Centerville and tonight they sounded pretty #### good. Maybe they're just making the proper adjustments..

posted from the DrumScorps app

I was at Centerville and the Cavaliers' brass line was in a whole new world from when I saw them in Hamilton on June 26. The sound was like nothing I've heard from Rosemont in over 30 years.  We've always "played correctly" but this past week I heard the energy increase and the trumpet line is putting that "edge" or "burn" on top of the ensemble which, when combined with the traditional tonal pyramid, makes it very loud at triple forte.

Thr brass staff deserves major props because in terms of pure volume, The Cavaliers are now up there with Crown. Oh, and it's VERY clean....

5 hours ago, pudding said:

The Cavaliers had at least five shotgun mics on the front of their field. It wasn't terribly noticeable in general, but it was clear from their sectional features that they were artificially louder than other corps of comparable size and quality (e.g. Crown). There were also noticeable differences between when the shotgun mics were being used and when they were turned lower. Also note the stand mics on each of the props in the back of the field, and the effect mics on the ring prop.

Assuming that you're referring to the Bluecoats with that "left of 50, back field" comment, realize that that's part of the intended effect; they turn backfield, but they sound more or less the same. It's a subversion of what you're seeing vs. what you're hearing.

The loudest section of The Cavaliers' show is the chord in the bottom right of the field before "My Way" far away from any microphones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, c.l. said:

I don't like it either. But it took you this long to notice?

It was his first show seeing Crown in person.  The flo camera work isn't going to win any awards for best direction any time soon.   Now that Tom Blair is onboard, there should be a huge improvement. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The flo camera work isn't going to win any awards for best direction any time soon.

:spitting:

8 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I know they added three mics on the sidelines somewhere around San Antonio show. I don't know of any individual MM with a mic clipped to their bell. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but from the "sound" of opening day in Indy, other top 5 corps are mic'ing individual bells and mixing them into the PA for "sound reinforcement".  My reaction to a couple of the corps in Indy on 6/22 was that their volume ( indoors in a dome) had crossed over from "pleasant" and "impressive" to "concussive". I tend to listen to horn lines in the parking lot. That tells the true story. 

Around early July judges were literally telling corps they needed more sound reinforcement and Hopkins posted after Broken Arrow that he had a chance to hear what the other top corps were doing and he had to turn up the "support" and order more equipment from Yamaha to better match what the other top corps we're doing. He mentioned that corps were mixing in brass thru the speakers and it needs to change. What we have now is the judges rewarding electronic support of brass, and not just with the suddenly powerful Cavaliers brass. The biggest top offenders aren't perhaps the obvious ones imo 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Around early July judges were literally telling corps they needed more sound reinforcement and Hopkins posted after Broken Arrow that he had a chance to hear what the other top corps were doing and he had to turn up the "support" and order more equipment from Yamaha to better match what the other top corps we're doing. He mentioned that corps were mixing in brass thru the speakers and it needs to change. What we have know is the judges rewarding electronic support of brass, and not just with the suddenly powerful Cavaliers brass. The biggest top offenders aren't perhaps the obvious ones imo 

I marched in high school with one of the Cavaliers brass staff, and he claims they were dragged "kicking and screaming" to putting those three mics on the sidelines. Didn't want to do it, but felt like they almost had to if they were going to be competitive. First appearance of them was San Antonio on 7/22, so less than 2 weeks ago. But as one poster pointed out above, some of the most powerful moments brass-wise for the Cavaliers have them standing in no proximity to those mics. I think a lot of what's going on with Cavs is an internal "struggle" between controlling sound quality and maximizing volume impact. There are several "Corps" people on that staff, and several "Band" people on that staff. Band people tend to prefer "control" at the expense of volume, and Corps people would rather "let it all hang out' at the risk of "control" issues. It appears to me that the Corps people are having the upper hand in that ongoing discussion as we approach Finals. I wasn't at Centreville but did see posted that someone thought the mics were too loud at that show. Wouldn't surprise me if they are looking for a sweet spot and shot too far. Be interesting to watch down the stretch. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I marched in high school with one of the Cavaliers brass staff, and he claims they were dragged "kicking and screaming" to putting those three mics on the sidelines. Didn't want to do it, but felt like they almost had to if they were going to be competitive. First appearance of them was San Antonio on 7/22, so less than 2 weeks ago. But as one poster pointed out above, some of the most powerful moments brass-wise for the Cavaliers have them standing in no proximity to those mics. I think a lot of what's going on with Cavs is an internal "struggle" between controlling sound quality and maximizing volume impact. There are several "Corps" people on that staff, and several "Band" people on that staff. Band people tend to prefer "control" at the expense of volume, and Corps people would rather "let it all hang out' at the risk of "control" issues. It appears to me that the Corps people are having the upper hand in that ongoing discussion as we approach Finals. I wasn't at Centreville but did see posted that someone thought the mics were too loud at that show. Wouldn't surprise me if they are looking for a sweet spot and shot too far. Be interesting to watch down the stretch. 

"Band" people are ruining drum corps. At Centerville there was volume AND accuracy.

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

To make things even more complex, some of them are "both".   :-) 

I have no beef with band directors.  They are what they are.  But corps isn't band and it's always going to be a cut above.  What I'm hearing from The Cavaliers' brass section is high energy and its scoring well too.  That sizzle and pop adds to general effect as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I have no beef with band directors.  They are what they are.  But corps isn't band and it's always going to be a cut above.  What I'm hearing from The Cavaliers' brass section is high energy and its scoring well too.  That sizzle and pop adds to general effect as well.

Couldn't agree more. And there are plenty of Band Directors that can compartmentalize and change their approach when they are working with Corps. 

• Like 1