What Chester Makes Makes Chester - TOC Show August 3rd

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I might be able to agree with you if they played for more than 20 seconds at a time.

To each their own!

• Like 1

Just now, cadet93 said:

I hope you realize my comment was a joke.  I can't stand the man.

Oh I do. My comment was furthering on your joke 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iloveband said:

To each their own!

I agree with you in regards to the prioritization of tone quality over volume. What good is a loud hornline if you can more readily hear issues with it? 

1 minute ago, ShouldveMarchedAgeOut said:

I'm always off with The Cadets. I love them when they're down apparently. Side by Side is also one of my favorite recent shows from them. Just lose the robes waaaaaaay sooner.

Is no one else into the Dementor vibe?

I think it's creepy and fun watching them float across the field with no legs

• Like 1

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

Is no one else into the Dementor vibe?

I think it's creepy and fun watching them float across the field with no legs

Kanye, believe me I dig it. Just seems to last too long. But love the music.

• Like 1

Tonight I felt that it was very difficult to evaluate brasslines, because when there was goo and/or electronic reinforcement, the sound was artificially loud and hard to discern, but when those things were lacking (and hence there was just the natural sound of the horns) it sounded way too quiet to distinguish quality. I would say that the Cavaliers definitely deserved 2nd in brass tonight, they had a very powerful mello line (and, as someone else pointed out, a very good center of tone). However, even with them, there was a LOT of artificial volume inflation. 

The Cadets play very well, they just don't play enough. If they played more, I think their brass scores would be higher. They also need to dial WAY back on the goo, it's loud to the point of being offensive.

1 minute ago, tommynev said:

You're the expert. Educate us

posted from the DrumScorps app

meaning they were scored higher than Coats tonight and .3 from Crown. It's so :blink:

Were you at the show? From the reports I read about their performance in Centerville and tonight they sounded pretty damn good. Maybe they're just making the proper adjustments..

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

Cavaliers are bringing it! Beat the Coats brass and the guard and percussion are tearing it up as they have been.

5 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I thought the kaepernick stuff was tedious but the "guards count for too much of the score / are in control of DCI" conspiracy that DCP loves is honestly so much worse

Guard influences all visual captions and bleed into music captions too, but they are only  25 - 30 % of the corps. If you have a dominant guard you don't have to have that great of drill to score well. Also the direction of show design had gone to require more guards.  They have their revenge from when the guard scope didn't really affect the score.

It is what it is, but there is no denying the WGI influence.

I thought that the intonation of the Bluecoats' ballad soloist was very good tonight, staticky speakers notwithstanding. He was really flat in the Zappa trombone feature, though.