A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

26 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

In 1979, I think it was a federal law that every third corps was required to play "Children of Sanchez."  :tongue:

One of the best songs no one outside of drum corps ever heard.  LOL.

I know!  We laughed about it! 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I see that a lot on here.  Revisionist history trying to paint a picture in which DCI was horrible in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and always nearing the verge of total collapse, saved from the depths of oblivion only by adding amps and trombones.  Also trying to act like Chuck Mangione wasn't a big act in the late 70s.  Everyone played his music because it was good music, end of story.  Some of the most iconic shows from DCI's history comes from those years.  I challenge anyone to find something from 2017 that's going to be considered "iconic drum corps" in 40 years.  Besides the leotards, of course.

Challenge accepted.

Blue Devils. Show for the ages. There was nobody touching them this year. Like 86. nobody was coming close.

Iconic. SCV. should I go on??????????????

Edited by oldcadetsop

46 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That will go down in history as the drum corps version of the Pentagon Papers.  LOL.

well, the Washington Post has long been a favorite of mine, especially Woodward

41 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

o I was in Montreal in 1981 for the week of Championships. I really don't care what Jeff says ( he now says " DCI told him this " ). Jeff says " 30-40 groups were there from Quebec & Ontario "... when I know he's wrong and way off . There were ( my words above ) " 12-15".. You just correctly listed ALL the Corps from Ontario/ Quebec Provinces as a follow up to my post,... confirming my number.  As stated above, most of these groups competed earlier in the week, got on their busses, and went home. They were a non factor in the attendance figure for Finals Night. I also know that the DCI office had the stadium post up on the Stadium screen during the Finals the  " 35,947 " Finals Night Attendance figure. I saw it as an eye witness that was present. I still have the picture snapshot in my files on my computer for even further validation. DCI no more cooked the numbers in 1981 than they do today. The silliness of a futile attempt at reivisionist DCI history by some people that were never born, or were not present at Finals in Montreal, does not make the attendance figures announced by DCI itself go away. The " formula " for calculating the Finals Nite Attendance did not change. Only the spin did in the intervening years when the Finals Night attendance figures dipped into the high teens and low 20's. The Finals Night attendance figures are coming back a bit of late. Thats good. The spin that there were not audiences on Finals Night of over 25,000- 35,000 some years in the 80's is not good however. That schizz needs to stop... otherwise that false narrative can have a tendency to take on a life of its own, and that would be most unfortunate, and unfair to those that were present there back then.

i even mentioned the scoreboard had a higher number. oh and the person who told me was there. 

and the spin is about the actual paid number. As stated pre 1997, DCI counted everyone going through the gate as attendance, paid or not. Now they have even listed the number of comps/VIPS in recent years. 

Please do.  Tell me WHY these were shows for the ages.  Explain to me what moments in these shows will be shown on a jumbotron hype video in years to come.  Which tunes will be played?  Which drill maneuvers will be showcased?

Here's what I think they'll show.  They'll show baritones and mellophones pretending to be the abstract interpretation of insects while the trumpets stand still off-camera.  They'll show A giant wave prop for 12 seconds and then cut to soloists filtered through a vocoder.  They'll show a bunch of guys running around the field dressed in feathers and acting out a scene from Lord of The Flies.  They'll show a half naked kid running around with a wooden cross while 140 other kids play tag with him  They'll show tight closeups of front ensembles acting like they just took a hit of ecstacy while they grin like a bunch of harlequins playing amplified marimba chords with soft yarn mallets.  And they'll probably showcase a singer whose microphone doesn't work.  And you know what?  I doubt they'll play ANY of the music.  I bet real world dollars all you'll hear is an Adele song beneath a bunch of dancing,  emoting, and hanging on the sides of props.  Because THAT is what drum corps is all about today.

3 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Please do.  Tell me WHY these were shows for the ages.  Explain to me what moments in these shows will be shown on a jumbotron hype video in years to come.  Which tunes will be played?  Which drill maneuvers will be showcased?

Here's what I think they'll show.  They'll show baritones and mellophones pretending to be the abstract interpretation of insects while the trumpets stand still off-camera.  They'll show A giant wave prop for 12 seconds and then cut to soloists filtered through a vocoder.  They'll show a bunch of guys running around the field dressed in feathers and acting out a scene from Lord of The Flies.  They'll show a half naked kid running around with a wooden cross while 140 other kids play tag with him  They'll show tight closeups of front ensembles acting like they just took a hit of ecstacy while they grin like a bunch of harlequins playing amplified marimba chords with soft yarn mallets.  And they'll probably showcase a singer whose microphone doesn't work.  And you know what?  I doubt they'll play ANY of the music.  I bet real world dollars all you'll hear is an Adele song beneath a bunch of dancing,  emoting, and hanging on the sides of props.  Because THAT is what drum corps is all about today.

i would tell you but you blocked me.

47 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Now what do you think...lol

I don't think anyone, especially this Cat, has the yarbles to walk up to any WC director, designer, or tech, get nose to nose, and say that their creations are for teenagers sniffing cocaine off the backs of hookers.  That... is what I think.

Edited by Stu

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

I don't think anyone has the yarbles to walk up to any WC director, designer, or tech, get nose to nose, and say that their creations are for teenagers sniffing cocaine off the backs of hookers.  That... is what I think.

Right you are BUT a few who may have gently gave a point of view, which is fine are totally different on line. Tail very much between legs.

Edited by GUARDLING