Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, afd said:

I'm not. Maybe you didn't like the show but they slowly moved up the ranks. I personally preferred Bcoats but was not  surprised that Cavies edged them at finals.

Cool. I didn't like the show or the music arranging and the guard and visual were dirty and imo overscored. Felt the same the year prior but liked that show even less

very narcissistic sense of design and performing going on imo, and don't get me started on the brass arranging and magnified amplification 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I really don't understand his weird insistence that the Cavies weren't a top 4 corps. 

Meanwhile im sitting here wondering why they weren't in 3rd place this past season

He didn't like them when they were top 2 corps every year, so I'm thinking they're just not his style. I would joke and say maybe he got cut,  but I would only say that to try and be funny.

He likes what he likes, and I'm guilty of the same towards other corps too, but I still try to praise a thing or two.

6 hours ago, corps8294 said:

'84-'06 were the heyday years for the Cavaliers. They still haven't recaptured that vibe and magic.

Well, Cavaliers won many championships before that year, and were a perennial top three corps until 2011 so I'm not sure where you get your definition of heyday.  Some years between '84 and '06 were comparable to or even lower than 2014, 2016, and 2017:

'84 - 8th with 89.700

'93 - 5th with 94.000

'96 - 4th with 93.8

'97 - 7th with a trip to California and a score of 92.8 - SHOOP!

So, they've had bad 2012, 2013, and 2015 years.

They're different, and I miss the old Cavaliers, but they've captured a different kind of magic, and I'm sure they'll be back to perennial top three placings soon.

All corps have changed.

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Cool. I didn't like the show or the music arranging and the guard and visual were dirty and imo overscored. Felt the same the year prior but liked that show even less

very narcissistic sense of design and performing going on imo, and don't get me started on the brass arranging and magnified amplification 

You lost me at "guard and visual were dirty and imo overscored" and "very narcissistic sense of design and performing going".

I don't even know how design and performance can be narcissistic.  The guard and visuals were on fire.

I'm not super crazy about many aspects of the music arranging, but that seems to be what the judges want to reward right now.

Honestly, I like it a tad better than what Dr. Shanefield brought to the table for them. I was really disliking his arranging by the time he left, so I feel their current arranging is an upgrade.

As far as Cadets' show, I think they took a potentially monumental show and made that one less. I know you predicted them around 3rd to 4th at some point in the season, but the show was a hard pill to swallow in certain portions, especially the middle section and the amount of overthinking and throwing of kitchen sinks. Speaking of visual...  That was an area that needed quite a bit of work in general.  Maybe some of that was the design, but there were quite a few areas where things could have been better.  The brass really had a time of it too. I'm sure it was incredibly frustrating to garner 10th place in content.

While the Cavaliers' layered approach to the musical  arrangement enhanced and improved their scores, the Cadets' layering seem to do the opposite.

I really do hope that The Cadets can address these issues very soon as it is too weird to see them so low in the ranks, and especially see them 10th in a subcaption.

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

And now to the Cadets...

...oh not quite, but yes I know it is a Cadets thread, but other corps were mentioned here, so I chose to respond about that here as well.

It's ok though; my last response were about the Cadets too.

Just now, jjeffeory said:

You lost me at "guard and visual were dirty and imo overscored" and "very narcissistic sense of design and performing going".

I don't even know how design and performance can be narcissistic.  The guard and visuals were on fire.

I'm not super crazy about many aspects of the music arranging, but that seems to be what the judges want to reward right now.

Honestly, I like it a tad better than what Dr. Shanefield brought to the table for them. I was really disliking his arranging by the time he left, so I feel their current arranging is an upgrade.

As far as Cadets' show, I think they took a potentially monumental show and made that one less. I know you predicted them around 3rd to 4th at some point in the season, but the show was a hard pill to swallow in certain portions, especially the middle section and the amount of overthinking and throwing of kitchen sinks. Speaking of visual...  That was an area that needed quite a bit of work in general.  Maybe some of that was the design, but there were quite a few areas where things could have been better.  The brass really had a time of it too. I'm sure it was incredibly frustrating to garner 10th place in content.

While the Cavaliers' layered approach to the musical  arrangement enhanced and improved their scores, the Cadets' layering seem to do the opposite.

I really do hope that The Cadets can address these issues very soon as it is too weird to see them so low in the ranks, and especially see them 10th in a subcaption.

I recently listen to an early July show of the Cadets and the beginning there was no singing. I really loved it. Not sure when they substituted the singing but for my taste the music just didn't vibe with me with all of the vocals especially early into the show.

Just now, afd said:

I recently listen to an early July show of the Cadets and the beginning there was no singing. I really loved it. Not sure when they substituted the singing but for my taste the music just didn't vibe with me with all of the vocals especially early into the show.

Now I am going to be completely fair.

The Cadets' singers did a wonderful job in the show. 

I hated their use in the middle portion of the show.

I would have liked less singing in general, but they nailed it.

12 minutes ago, afd said:

The Cadets had singing in all their contests. You may have heard a tape from winter camp or from early ST before the choir, brass, and percussion were merged. But the Cadets used the choir from ST onward. Where on the front sidelines the choir stood and how they interfaced with the front ensemble did change during the course of the last few weeks, but they were always there.