Corps Responses to Inquirer Article

32 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I can understand his response. As the head of DCI, I'm sure he wants every word that comes from DCI vetted first.

Also, if everything is in writing, there can't be any chance of misquotes or verbiage confusion with what was asked and responded.

I don't blame Dan at all.

Terrible strategy for communications in this situation. They need to get some communications pros in there before they make the same communications mistakes the old YEA board did.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I can understand his response. As the head of DCI, I'm sure he wants every word that comes from DCI vetted first.

Also, if everything is in writing, there can't be any chance of misquotes or verbiage confusion with what was asked and responded.

I don't blame Dan at all.

I don’t blame Dan either. A attorney should be vetting any official response from DCI. He may fold under questioning. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ok Tommy DeVito. “Funny, how?”

Do I amuse you?

• Haha 1

DCA has been the subject of some reasonable criticism in this thread for (1) letting five days pass before making any sort of statement and (2) the very minimal initial statement they did issue (only fleshed out slightly a few days later). So I'm going to paste here their longer response included in a letter DCA's president issued Sunday. It also can be found in this thread in DCP's DCA forum, where it can be read in its entirety (the letter includes commentary on other DCA-related subjects, like MBI taking the year off):

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Drum Corps has been in the news a lot in recent weeks and sadly not all of it has been good news.   DCA wants to assure the fans and general public that we are addressing these issues and challenges head on.   Let’s start with the issues that face the YEA organization and our member corps the Cadets 2.   It was a shock heard around the drum corps community when the news hit of allegations against one of our own.   The board has been in constant communications with the YEA organization along with legal council.  We are moving forward to assist Cadets 2 to help the organization heal and be successful in the coming months. We are working with the new board and waiting for a formal announcement of a new director.  As all DCA corps are their own legal entities, we are limited as to how much we can directly be involved.   We can guide and offer assistance and lend a helping hand as the corps moves forward, and that’s what we plan to do.   The YEA organization is providing DCA with bi-weekly reports on current handling, weekly progress, and steps that are being put into place for their future.

DCA has reached out to several organizations and have arranged for a presentation / seminar that will take place at our Annual Meeting as a mandatory session for all participating members of the Association.   Safety protocols, sexual harassment, background checks and moving forward from sexual assault will all be part of the presentation.  We take this situation extremely seriously and want to do what is right as we move forward.

Posted a few minutes ago on FB from Music City with a link to below:

https://musiccitydrumcorps.org/2018-season/mc-enhances-training/

On 5/4/2018 at 1:01 PM, CrownBariDad said:

Posted a few minutes ago on FB from Music City with a link to below:

https://musiccitydrumcorps.org/2018-season/mc-enhances-training/

Thanks for that update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 1:44 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

OK, as far as I can tell, each of the following organizations has put out some sort of response and/or has a prominent, robust policy in place:

Academy

Atlanta CV

Battalion

Bluecoats

Boston Crusaders

Carolina Crown

Cavaliers

Chops Inc.

Colts

Columbians

Blue Devils

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

Cascades

DCA

DCI

Erie Thunderbirds

Guardians

Heat Wave

Jersey Surf

Madison Scouts

Minnesota Brass

Music City

Oregon Crusaders

Pacific Crest

Raiders

Sacramento Mandarins

Santa Clara Vanguard

Seattle Cascades

7th Regiment

Southern Knights

Southwind

Troopers

Watchmen

I would not describe all of the statements issued by the corps or groups above (especially DCA [as originally posted]) to be adequate, but something is better than nothing. And as far as I can tell, nothing has been said by the following corps, nor do they have harassment and/or whistleblower policies anywhere easy to find:

Bushwackers, Carolina Gold, Cincinnati Tradition, Connecticut Hurricanes, Crossmen, Fusion Core, Gold, Golden Empire, Govenaires, Hawthorne Caballeros, Impulse, Incognito, Legends, Louisiana Stars, Phantom Regiment, Pioneer, Reading Buccaneers, River City Rhythm, Shadow, Skyliners, Spartans, Spirit of Atlanta, Stentors, Vessel, White Sabers

Let me know if I missed something. And if you are affiliated with any of the above groups, on the first list or the second, maybe check in with them and make sure you feel what they're doing is good enough.

Huh. At least as of last week, no one could point to anything on Crossmen's website, Facebook page or Twitter feed either acknowledging what happened at Cadets or providing the organization's harassment and retaliation policies.

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Huh. At least as of last week, no one could point to anything on Crossmen's website, Facebook page or Twitter feed either acknowledging what happened at Cadets or providing the organization's harassment and retaliation policies.

I just checked Crossmen's website myself. They now have a link from the "about" tab on their homepage to a Safety Policies & Guidelines page:

http://www.crossmen.org/policies

And that includes a Sexual Harassment Policy.

So I have now moved Crossmen to the first list.

However, I did look up their site on the Wayback Machine, and that policies page was not in place as of the most recently archived crawl on April 15:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180415115108/http://www.crossmen.org/

So I don't think we missed it before.