the new list of Class A

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

1991 for the Mets....first corps on at prelims that year, and man what a wakeup call.  LOL. Super high-energy show.

They made the night show, tied with MBI for the last finalist spot... then in 1992 made that big jump to 5th.

But you're right... all those corps... outta nowhere.  :laughing:  

I can add Les Cascadeurs in '84 to that list. "Who ARE these guys????"  LOL. They made a bit of DCA, maybe drum corps, history in '84 by amping their front ensemble. First time I can recall any corps doing that.  Took a 2-point penalty for the then-banned electronics, and still were a solid finalist.

Cascadeurs got a lot of L'Odysee members on board. Ran into someone I knew on Toms from L'Odysee outside the stadium and he  explained there was some kind of schism that took place and he was now with Cascadeurs. He was wearing a corps shirt that he told me read in French-Canadian, "I QUIT!" :satisfied:

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Cascadeurs got a lot of L'Odysee members on board. Ran into someone I knew on Toms from L'Odysee outside the stadium and he  explained there was some kind of schism that took place and he was now with Cascadeurs. He was wearing a corps shirt that he told me read in French-Canadian, "I QUIT!" :satisfied:

lot of migrating from French Canadian corps to French Canadian corps. never seemed like there were more than two at a time, and most never last more than 3 years

11 hours ago, shombell said:

We at Cadence are stoked to have such a healthy A Class. It does mean making finals is harder as only four go through but the experience for the kids will be enough.

I just hope people get in their seats early to see the A Class prelims. Out of interest what are the crowds like for A Class prelims at DCA?

I've only attended Prelims for the past four years, all in the same stadium, so my experience is limited, but from my perch high in the Rochester stands, I'd say attendance at the start of Prelims is at most 20% of attendance at the end of Prelims.

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

lot of migrating from French Canadian corps to French Canadian corps. never seemed like there were more than two at a time, and most never last more than 3 years

Thats because they got moneys from the goverment for 3yrs only .Once the goverment cut off the money bye bye corps.

Edited by Florida Sun

I agree... the Class A race is wide open this year.

The Govies have to be a favorite, based on their track record. But they're not a slam dunk. 

All sorts of scenarios for who will make Class A finals,  and who will win.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

F-Sun covered the Canadian subsidies. That was part of it. Also, Corps were poaching each other's personnel to a fine art, especially at the Junior level.

I think you have the book Jeff, but this chapter really sums a lot of it up. Been talking to a friend in PQ and he's helped fill in some holes off and on since he knows the right French Canadian search terms and pulls up some seriously good historical videos of a lot of obscure corps from PQ. Les Metro.... unfortunately... nothing.

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/assets/13 - Drum and Bugle Corps in Quebec.pdf

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

The Govies have to be a favorite, based on their track record. But they're not a slam dunk. 

Yes. A couple of years ago, there was big talk on DCP about a class A Slam Dunk that went off the rim and broke the glass. Each A Corps has a pretty distinct personality, and various strengths and weaknesses. The one thing the Govies have historically had is consistent quality across all captions. The Corps functions as a team. The Class A corps who present best as a total package will give themselves the best chance of making finals, umm, because the corps who scores the highest wins. :innocent:

• Like 2

Imo the key is A class finally learned to design for who they are, not who they wish to be

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Unlike last season, this lineup of corps in Class ‘A’ wont be a runaway. 

• Like 1

I DON'T THINK I WOULD CALL LAST YEARS SCORES A RUNAWAY ,MIGHT CLOSE IN PRELIUMS A LITTLE MORE OF  A SPREAD IN FINALS ,BUT NO RUNAWAY.

• Like 1