Visual scoring (Here, horsey horsey...)

3 hours ago, Ediker said:

Bloo was doing some warp speed last year, Cadets were zooming around in 2015 (and a little in 2016), and neither seemed to be getting a whole lot of credit for it.  Bloo could've been cleaner.  Cadets seemed to hit a GE ceiling in 2015.  

I hope Boston does not over-invest in fast tempos, this year, if they're not going to get credit for it.  

Cadets were in 15....then the uniform change. black took away the feeling of velocity the white pants provided.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Cadets were in 15....then the uniform change. black took away the feeling of velocity the white pants provided.

Zooming and velocity does not mean BETTER. It means they are just moving around fast and dirty. Anyone can run around and run around. It's all in the performance and proficiency.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, afd said:

Zooming and velocity does not mean BETTER. It means they are just moving around fast and dirty. Anyone can run around and run around. It's all in the performance and proficiency.

This is very true

Faster doesn't mean better

Louder doesn't mean better

Tossing more or higher doesn't mean better

Nostalgia rehash doesn't mean better

Doing more doesn't mean better

NOR does the opposite mean easier

BUT, if one can achieve any of this and still maintain excellence it can be outstanding ( Not that a great program needs it ) All choice by a corps.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

This is very true

Faster doesn't mean better

Louder doesn't mean better

Tossing more or higher doesn't mean better

Nostalgia rehash doesn't mean better

Doing more doesn't mean better

NOR does the opposite mean easier

BUT, if one can achieve any of this and still maintain excellence it can be outstanding ( Not that a great program needs it ) All choice by a corps.

I totally agree. Cavies in the early 2000's proved that. They were amazing and CLEAN!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, afd said:

no but their visual scores were in contention until the change. please read what I was responding to, then comment

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no but their visual scores were in contention until the change. please read what I was responding to, then comment

Myth. Actually, their total visual numbers in the area of visual proficiency and visual analysis improved when they made the change at the Chester show and stayed right in the thick of things* through Allentown, Buffalo, Massillon, and even Indy prelims (2nd in visual proficiency). What killed them when it was all said and done was a combination of their color guard being a clear notch below their nearest competition and the Bluecoats surging at the right time. And if the uniform change had a negative impact on the Cadets' GE scores, I guarantee it was not nearly as negative an impact as their color guard had. That guard just didn't look like they belonged in the top echelon of corps, in content or performance. So much so that even if the corps had kept the maroon and gold, things would most likely have finished exactly the same way.

(* in relation to Crown and Bluecoats. By this time, BD had begun their inevitable separation from the others)

7 hours ago, afd said:

Quoting Jim Prime , Senior on this subject:

"Anyone can do a tough chart badly." :winky:

• Like 4

On 5/11/2018 at 2:13 PM, afd said:

Explain how you find figure skating compared to a drum Corp or a marching band.! I’m intrigued. How do you compare one competitor to a huge group. I just don’t see it.!

I get where they are going with us. I know from marching. Anyone who marches does. You come off the field one night and your staff says you basically sucked, yet you beat a corps you beat by a few tenths the night before by over 2 points - at a show you supposedly sucked at too. It also went the other way around. Corps within the same caliber should be flip-flopping nightly. Going undefeated should be a very rare thing, with the Blue Devils, it's the norm. I'm singling out BD here because they win the most, and they go undefeated the most. 

17 hours ago, afd said:

While true, it also increases the simultaneous demand on the performer, and that should be taken into account. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

Myth. Actually, their total visual numbers in the area of visual proficiency and visual analysis improved when they made the change at the Chester show and stayed right in the thick of things* through Allentown, Buffalo, Massillon, and even Indy prelims (2nd in visual proficiency). What killed them when it was all said and done was a combination of their color guard being a clear notch below their nearest competition and the Bluecoats surging at the right time. And if the uniform change had a negative impact on the Cadets' GE scores, I guarantee it was not nearly as negative an impact as their color guard had. That guard just didn't look like they belonged in the top echelon of corps, in content or performance. So much so that even if the corps had kept the maroon and gold, things would most likely have finished exactly the same way.

(* in relation to Crown and Bluecoats. By this time, BD had begun their inevitable separation from the others)

We are both right. The black hurt the upstairs numbers and exposed the guard to be even worse