Sound Meter Readings

I used the application Decibel X Pro to capture sound output during the Hattiesburg, MS show on July 25, 2018. I used the paid version for ease of saving the data, but the free version would provide the same information. I was seated in row 33, about midway up the bottom level on the 45-yard-line, side two. I began capturing at the conclusion of the announcer saying, "Drum Corps International is proud to present..." and stopped capturing when the show concluded before the announcer made the closing "Under the direction of..." statement. The phone was on my leg in the same position for each corps.

This was really a test to determine whether I could do something like this in Atlanta and Indianapolis (possibly Allentown). Clearly the data cannot be compared from one show to the next due to many variable differences, but it might be interesting to crowd source at those shows with people seated in different areas. If anyone is interested, let me know and we can try to coordinate.

The red and green shading is just to help identify the lowest and highest readings in each category. 

Enjoy!

cUdggWm.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The question is: how much sound is acoustic and how much is from amplification? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, quietcity said:

And how much is the background state.

Having done this with a semi-pro sound meter for a few seasons, the max level -- if measured instantaneously -- is usually from bass drum hits in the pit.  I would just do samples of the loudest moments of the show paying close attention to what's going on in the front ensemble. 

22 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

And how much is the background state.

The readings were in the high 50s/low 60s with ambient stadium noise just prior to each performance.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, quietcity said:

I am completely amateur in this world and have little to know meaningful knowledge to speak from. I am going to upload the images of the full show line graphs, which may help with that determination. Perhaps I'll try to take readings from horn line warm-ups in Indy and get acoustic readings. Could be fun.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Well, this amateur needs to know the difference between max and peak.

Yeah for sure. I mean if you said what was the highest reading of Decibel's for the show and someone replied with max was 90 and then turned around and said----- but the peak was 110. I would be like whhhhhhaaaat??:lol:

side note - I worked with a person who would say "how many decibel places"??? for unit precision and I would be like.....whaaaaaat?

My reply would be ------"these go up to Eleven". :united:

Edited by E3D

3 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

I used the application Decibel X Pro to capture sound output during the Hattiesburg, MS show on July 25, 2018. I used the paid version for ease of saving the data, but the free version would provide the same information. I was seated in row 33, about midway up the bottom level on the 45-yard-line, side two. I began capturing at the conclusion of the announcer saying, "Drum Corps International is proud to present..." and stopped capturing when the show concluded before the announcer made the closing "Under the direction of..." statement. The phone was on my leg in the same position for each corps.

This was really a test to determine whether I could do something like this in Atlanta and Indianapolis (possibly Allentown). Clearly the data cannot be compared from one show to the next due to many variable differences, but it might be interesting to crowd source at those shows with people seated in different areas. If anyone is interested, let me know and we can try to coordinate.

The red and green shading is just to help identify the lowest and highest readings in each category. 

Enjoy!

cUdggWm.png

So, the Colts are as loud as the Blue Devils?  - - - and the Blue Devils are amp'd as well.   This is a great example of how ridiculous electronics have become.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Well, this amateur needs to know the difference between max and peak.

I was thinking the max would be an average, but that doesn't make sense either. A range would include the min and the max/peak. Maybe the max is a sustained period of sound over X seconds and the peak is instantaneous.

My meter gives me a average over the measuring period and the instantaneous peak measurement.