Uh Uh Oh Oh Cadets

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Agree but look what sells, The stealing thread was not about stealing was hard to kill. Lots of other examples and we have a common interest. Those bots that pull up all the negative is a bigger issue than the issue in this case.

Look how our "rookie of the year" SWriverstone planted his landmine in the "epic Musical fail" thread, hasn't posted since Aug 17. The thread is still going what 35 pages. How long would an "I Love SCV" thread stayed on the front page. 

His by-line: there's a well-known and studied psychological phenomenon called the mere-exposure effect. We're part of a thesis. 

there's a well-known and studied psychological phenomenon called DCP/dci/drum corps and how we think is being studied. The whole internet is a game with all kinds of demons.  I am not trying to set rules at DCP but if the OP abandoned the thread ten days ago? 

Yup, well you can say the same about modern “journalism” - everything is click bait these days 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Story refers to an instructor of Cadets2 whose name was included on a Catholic clergy list of offenders.

Important to note, YEA said a prior background check WAS undertaken. It revealed nothing that would indicate this potential. These are not easy situations to guard against!

if you read the list the diocese released, it stated no charges filed. So on a background check it wouldn't have appeared. And the Board did all the right things when it was known

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

Not sure they would have had to report to DCI since this is Cadets2 and a DCA issue but certainly better safe than sorry. Also nice to see that YEA reported the story to the media (after alerting parents) as opposed to waiting for the media to come knocking on the door. A lesson others may learn from one would hope. Well done YEA!

it's YEA and C2 is listed as an affiliate DCI member like other DCA corps are. They should have and most likely did report it

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Doug Rutherford said there were no performance issues with him.  I assume that covers any inappropriate behavior. 

I’m guessing that considering everything that The Cadets and Cadets2 have experienced since April, their radars would be way up for inappropriate behavior from staff.  As are most of the members of drum corps. 

I'll admit.....I've known Don for many years and taught an HS Band with him. Had no idea. Nicest guy, never saw him do anything inappropriate on a staff full of colorful characters. All that aside, YEA did the right thing as soon as they knew.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lance said:

educators get state patrol and fbi checks here, too

i feel like there should be more investigation exactly because of issues like this

but i don't think YEA should get chastised too much for this

YEA requires all of the checks schools do. 

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

We may never know. Today a good background check would include most everything in a forensic check. The question is how far does a dci level background check need to go before it's an invasion of privacy?

In business these types of checks where your passwords & physicals are required only kick in for upper management positions that will oversee large parts of the business. You want to make the dough you need to submit or someone else will.

Do the staff/touring volunteers need this type of vetting? Not for me to decide but it would be prudent for the powers to be thinking along these lines as a way to address the safety issue.

employers will scan what you say on social media and use it as a basis to possibly not hire.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Who are you addressing?

On another thread Jeff and I got hit with anti Catholic accusations. Or to put it another way the two guys who live in the Harrisburg archdiocese...

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

On another thread Jeff and I got hit with anti Catholic accusations. Or to put it another way the two guys who live in the Harrisburg archdiocese...

And a former Cathokic yet I didn’t bash them