Sign in to follow this  
DCP NewsFeed

Troopers Announce 2019 Drum Major

Recommended Posts

“As we set the foundation for an exciting 2019 season, it is my pleasure to share with you the announcement of our new Troopers Drum Major. This individual is a proven leader who will proudly maintain the highest standards of excellence, purpose, and presence as have been set by those who have previously worn the […]

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wish Savannah all the best. Sad that her administration present her placement in such a sexist context rather than speaking of Savannah's qualities and achievements. Using kids for agendas is another form of abuse. And yes, I know that is a strong statement. The young lady deserves better than being set up as a token.

[My uncle, known to the Troopers as "Gunny" was the one who for many years donated the special accouterments and sword which the Troopers' major often wore. My uncle died of Agent Orange several years back and is buried at Ft. Snelling, Minnesota.] 

Edited by xandandl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She should talk to the young lady from Madison last year. She was also a token who was set up to fail.

Edited by justfoundDCP
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xandandl said:

i wish Savannah all the best. Sad that her administration present her placement in such a sexist context rather than speaking of Savannah's qualities and achievements. Using kids for agendas is another form of abuse. And yes, I know that is a strong statement. The young lady deserves better than being set up as a token.

[My uncle, known to the Troopers as "Gunny" was the one who for many years donated the special accouterments and sword which the Troopers' major often wore. My uncle died of Agent Orange several years back and is buried at Ft. Snelling, Minnesota.] 

Firstly - I had no idea you were related to Gunny! He was a quiet devotee of the Troopers for so long, and I was glad to have met him, if it was just for a few short hours one summer day in 2008. His joy in doing what he was able to do for the corps and some of our drum majors over the years was obvious.

Secondly, I'm sad that you feel the tribute to Savannah's historic appointment is not appropriate. I'm not here to try to change your mind. I do hear your point, and I can agree to some extent. Yet, I have to recognize that the Troopers are sitting at an historic crossroads moment as an organization. I assume that Savannah, along with the Troopers family and friends, understands the significance of her appointment in the context of the history of Troopers drum majors. I can't help but be certain that Savannah's accomplishments definitely put her at the top of the list; however, I can see how one might not directly get that from the video.

Lastly, we all know that some changes come slowly. For many years it seemed that there was a specific "image" that many people held dear about the Troopers drum major, and that attachment was often tied to the uniform they wore and the unmistakably masculine ethos it projected. I don't think there's any harm in acknowledging that this particular appointment signals a deep commitment by the Troopers organization to set a new course.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justfoundDCP said:

She should talk to the young lady from Madison last year. She was also a token who was set up to fail.

I'm pretty sure Savannah is not at all seen as a "token" within the Troopers organization.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, xandandl said:

i wish Savannah all the best. Sad that her administration present her placement in such a sexist context rather than speaking of Savannah's qualities and achievements. Using kids for agendas is another form of abuse. And yes, I know that is a strong statement. The young lady deserves better than being set up as a token.

I do not see this "sexist context" anywhere.  Could you provide an example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, justfoundDCP said:

She should talk to the young lady from Madison last year. She was also a token who was set up to fail.

I didn't get a sense that she failed.  For many, she was the high light of their show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed watching a young Gabe Gallegos mature into a fine drum major. His love of the corps was evident and he knew how to be a showman without making it about himself. His final thank you after semi’s last year was emotional for the Troopers fans sitting behind me. I saw a similar spark in the charismatic assistant conductor last season and thought she’d make a fine drum major. I guess Troopers do too! All the best Savannah Light! You will no doubt be a tremendous asset to the corps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Savannah Light led the "Black Parade" block at the start of the 2018 show. Five feet in stature, and 12 11 Feet Tall. She's ready.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TerriTroop said:

Secondly, I'm sad that you feel the tribute to Savannah's historic appointment is not appropriate. I'm not here to try to change your mind. I do hear your point, and I can agree to some extent. Yet, I have to recognize that the Troopers are sitting at an historic crossroads moment as an organization. I assume that Savannah, along with the Troopers family and friends, understands the significance of her appointment in the context of the history of Troopers drum majors.

That history, by the way, includes a female on the main podium for 2/3 of the 2005 show.  Was she only an assistant DM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.