"Do Not Enter! Be Quiet! Sit Down!" Stadium Etiquette

46 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

no, it was still Phillies then...hence why the place looked like a miniature Veterans Stadium, dead rats and all.

it was Cabs vs Brigs

I remember that well. 

A "disagreement" about whether the Brigs would win another DCA title that year.  :laughing:

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

no, it was still Phillies then...hence why the place looked like a miniature Veterans Stadium, dead rats and all.

If it doesn’t smell like Schlitz that’s been laying on the floor since the place was built it ain’t like the Vet...

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember that well. 

A "disagreement" about whether the Brigs would win another DCA title that year.  :laughing:

Which reminds me of the beer bottle that flew out of the stands at 1974 DCA Finals. Talking to some Boys (Spirit?) of 76 members and hear a HOLY #### just in time to see it hit the ground and bounce a few times as fortunately Crusaders were backfield. Security knew who it was as people around were all pointing at him. Drug him out bodily.

whadda way to be introduced to drum corps.... (my first season)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

51 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If it doesn’t smell like Schlitz that’s been laying on the floor since the place was built it ain’t like the Vet...

i had the "pleasure" of going into the dugout before judging the last ACC's held there and walking out the tunnel to the dugout. I always heard that tunnel at the vet was covered with dead rats. Well, so was LCS. In 2006

In fact later that day, the band I taught was the last group off of the turf after awards...may have even technically been Monday morning by then.....and 6 hours later, they were there ripping the turf out so they new owners, the Yankees, could put in real grass. We drove that morning to see if we could get a piece of the turf, but word was it was being sent to a state school

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i had the "pleasure" of going into the dugout before judging the last ACC's held there and walking out the tunnel to the dugout. I always heard that tunnel at the vet was covered with dead rats. Well, so was LCS. In 2006

There was a porta-potty in that dugout at the Scranton stadium.... when I worked the DCA shows there I'd use the porta-john in a pinch if I didn't have time to make it up to the concourse. But wow, it was a bit scary under there. LOL. Always made sure I had a flashlight to see where I was going.

As a state school grad would be interesting to know who might have gotten a used field lol....

On 10/22/2018 at 12:53 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

A friend of mine is a professional music critic. He was so moved by a visiting orchestra's performance of a Bruckner symphony that he applauded following one particularly expressive movement. Another music critic who writes for a larger media outlet in the same city noted in his review that someone had disrupted the concert by applauding in the middle rather than waiting until the piece was concluded, as is the normal etiquette these days.

Mind you, when that symphony was written, it was still regular practice to applaud between movements.

As for stadium etiquette, I've noticed in the marching band world that Bands of America pays lip service to the idea that one shouldn't enter or exit the seating area during performances, but they do absolutely nothing to enforce that, at least not at their regional events. A week ago at their Canton competition, there was a steady stream of students and parents in and out all day while bands were playing.

Maybe the regionals in your area. All the regionals I've been to in Texas heavily enforce that. There's even someone there that could tackle you, but most of the time I think I could take 'em :tongue:

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it was Cabs vs Brigs

Semi-related... remember the gendarmes at the Scranton stadium? 

Multiple stories about them... probably good for another thread.  LOL.

And it wasn't just for the drum corps/band events, either. A buddy saw them hassle a guy at one of the baseball games... the guy was told by one of the gendarmes to stay in the tunnel between the seating sections and not head to his seat during an inning... then another gendarme came by and gave the guy a hard time for standing in the tunnel!!!  Ya can't make this stuff up. :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring