“Failure to Protect”

3 hours ago, Bluzes said:

I am kind of slow, the person committed a felony and the Mugshot is still associated with the person, years later. So that newspaper in their mind is doing the right thing by dancing around the issue in their news cycle, I get that part. Now years later that person applies at a Corps and their background check discovers the felony. I am missing the false positive part?

No, the person didn't commit a felony. He or she was charged with a felony but not convicted of it. But the mugshot (which gets taken when the person is booked, not when he or she is convicted) is still on the paper's website and thus found in internet searches.

5 hours ago, BigW said:

There's been a tendency for the schools to prosecute whether or not the person quits. Thankfully.  Not like it was to just go away and nothing said.

even 4 or so years ago locally, they let someone walk. never even made the paper

great point raised on the new Drunk Corps podcast....way back...pk. last spring...OC was the first out there to post about their whistleblower policy. We all praised them left and right.

and well, then this article hit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We got played. 

everyone did.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

No, the person didn't commit a felony. He or she was charged with a felony but not convicted of it. But the mugshot (which gets taken when the person is booked, not when he or she is convicted) is still on the paper's website and thus found in internet searches.

Thanks, still not a false positive for drum corps. Most of the bad actors that have been discovered by the school districts and flagrantly pushed off to the Corps and other school districts haven't even made it to the Mugshot, but are still undesirable to have around kids. There could be a point made as to the nature of the accusation not being sexual and unfair if that was the sole reason for not hiring, it would push them down the list of equally qualified candidates though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 81Freelancers said:

I tried to warn people in the '80s about sexual predators in the color guard world as instructors focused and groomed young, naive performers to succumb to their advances. I don't care what you do you in our bedroom, but don't bring into your work. Unfortunately, these instructors were valued as too talented to be reprimanded or fired so everyone looked the other way. 

A commendable deed you were ahead of your time and a very brave person, you were not looking the other way. Dci is no stranger to this in the late 70's they were dealing with the worse of the worse of these situations with The Seneca Optimists. The case wasn't settled till 2016 was mostly a Canadian issue kept quiet in the US, except for those in the know in drum corps. The details, in this case, has a similar pattern as GH. It took 40 years to resolve and this poor girl only 14 a brave soul was in and out of court her whole adult life.

http://www.comingforward.ca/donna-bells-trial-its-about-time/

Edited by Bluzes
typo

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

even 4 or so years ago locally, they let someone walk. never even made the paper

It still happens. Not like it used to, but it unfortunately still happens. Say, 40 years ago, it just never happened where anyone was brought to trial or charges pressed.. I can think of several people you know or know of where things were just hushed away and the people moved on. Say... 15 to 20 years ago, one began to see prosecutions and charges. Now, far more of them come to light publicly.

13 hours ago, Bluzes said:

A commendable deed you were ahead of your time and a very brave person, you were not looking the other way. Dci is no stranger to this in the late 70's they were dealing with the worse of the worse of these situations with The Seneca Optimists. The case wasn't settled till 2016 was mostly a Canadian issue kept quiet in the US, except for those in the know in drum corps. The details, in this case, has a similar pattern as GH. It took 40 years to resolve and this poor girl only 14 a brave soul was in and out of court her whole adult life.

http://www.comingforward.ca/donna-bells-trial-its-about-time/

Hadn't heard about that one before. Thanks for sharing that information.

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Hadn't heard about that one before. Thanks for sharing that information.

It's been mentioned before on DCP. A sad sad inicident that cropped up but I don't know what dci could have done? I fault the rest of the staff for not coming forward to nip this in the bud. However, there were no visible signs that any policy or procedure or enhanced awareness was addressed but I don't really know. Drum Corps News was it back then, grab a copy at the show read about what's happening in drum corps.