The Essential Issue

The more I think about it, the more obvious it is. And I know I'm not the only one here who feels this way either.

We can talk all day about hiring practices and removing people from their positions of power, we can parse every word of press releases and news articles, and we can go round and round on what the future of DCI holds. To me, the essential issue at hand is this: DCI must restructure their organization into a proper body of governance. The current model, while it may have suited their needs in 1972, simply does not work in 2018. It creates more problems than it solves and no matter what new rules or policies they come up with, if the current power structure of corps directors being in charge and the CEO being basically an empty suit just won't cut it anymore. This is an organization in dire need of an independent board of directors and true CEO, people from diverse backgrounds and experience, who can bring real qualitative oversight to the activity for the first time. As it is, the conflicts of interest which exist in the power structure of DCI does not lend itself to prosperity.

Of course, I do not expect any of this to happen. The way I see it, if news of sex scandals arise at every single DCI corps in the coming months, the current DCI board would never in a million years even remotely consider a restructuring process. I truly believe they consider such a thing to be unthinkable. That's part of why they continue to get themselves into these messes to begin with. They arrogantly believe they can figure all this stuff out on their own and govern themselves. Well, clearly, that's been shown time and again that it's untrue.

How would all of this restructuring work? I have no idea. How long would it take? I have no idea. All I know is that there is too much at stake to not take a serious look at organizational restructuring. These are the questions the reporters should be asking them. Why is DCI run this way? Does it still make sense in 2018? Aren't there clear conflicts of interest when it comes to the current power structure? What is the point of having a completely powerless CEO? Is there any discussion about restructuring into more of a governing body? If not, WHY NOT?

All these terrible stories we've been hearing about over the last several months, and the ones I'm sure are just around the corner, make me believe that there really is one way to at least begin the journey for DCI to move forward and be a force of betterment for the activity and all its participants. They need to bring a wrecking ball to the current operational model and start over. It may just be their only hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Funny you mention this. I was talking to someone today who thinks the reporter has some agenda and wondered why I’ve been such a hard ### towards dan, the board, the corps etc.

its easy. Whenever there’s been criticism what’s the power brokers standard reply? “ it’s for the kids” “ don’t criticize, you’ll hurt the kids”.

well, until May 2018 the collective powers that be, including Dan, the board, the corps boards, and so many others IGNORED this issue and allowed way too many KIDS get hurt by people that shouldn’t have been around. Like we see with the Catholic Church, tell them to leave but don’t block them from being involved. Sweep it under the rug. Teaching license suspended? No biggie I know you can make my horn line better. It’s been the worst kept secret for decades, and enough people had to know specifics, and did nothing. 

We know people reported stuff before last year, and it was ignored or worse, people were threatened to stay silent.

but yet it’s all supposed to be about the kids right? That’s what those at the top have stressed repeatedly. Kids, kids, KIDS!!

yet when someone did anything sexual with a kid, either in or out of dci but was allowed to work there, the safety of those same kids was ignored.

that is why I continue to demand people be held accountable for past inaction. Yeah it could take down some big names. In fact I’ve been suspicious of some resignations and their rationale the last 18 months. 

I am glad dci is taking steps. I truly believe in any restructuring the inmates should not be in charge of the asylum. None of them have earned that right..... because despite their mantra of “ the kids”, they’ve proven their safety really wasn’t as important as they claimed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think you spelled “the kids” wrong.  It’s spelled $$$$. 

Well, nobody's getting rich from drum corps.

3 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

The more I think about it, the more obvious it is. And I know I'm not the only one here who feels this way either.

We can talk all day about hiring practices and removing people from their positions of power, we can parse every word of press releases and news articles, and we can go round and round on what the future of DCI holds. To me, the essential issue at hand is this: DCI must restructure their organization into a proper body of governance. The current model, while it may have suited their needs in 1972, simply does not work in 2018. It creates more problems than it solves and no matter what new rules or policies they come up with, if the current power structure of corps directors being in charge and the CEO being basically an empty suit just won't cut it anymore. This is an organization in dire need of an independent board of directors and true CEO, people from diverse backgrounds and experience, who can bring real qualitative oversight to the activity for the first time. As it is, the conflicts of interest which exist in the power structure of DCI does not lend itself to prosperity.

Of course, I do not expect any of this to happen. The way I see it, if news of sex scandals arise at every single DCI corps in the coming months, the current DCI board would never in a million years even remotely consider a restructuring process. I truly believe they consider such a thing to be unthinkable. That's part of why they continue to get themselves into these messes to begin with. They arrogantly believe they can figure all this stuff out on their own and govern themselves. Well, clearly, that's been shown time and again that it's untrue.

How would all of this restructuring work? I have no idea. How long would it take? I have no idea. All I know is that there is too much at stake to not take a serious look at organizational restructuring. These are the questions the reporters should be asking them. Why is DCI run this way? Does it still make sense in 2018? Aren't there clear conflicts of interest when it comes to the current power structure? What is the point of having a completely powerless CEO? Is there any discussion about restructuring into more of a governing body? If not, WHY NOT?

All these terrible stories we've been hearing about over the last several months, and the ones I'm sure are just around the corner, make me believe that there really is one way to at least begin the journey for DCI to move forward and be a force of betterment for the activity and all its participants. They need to bring a wrecking ball to the current operational model and start over. It may just be their only hope.

Agree.  Adapt migrate, or die.  The death could be quick (like the dinosaurs, which took months (at most) to die out (except the avians)), or slower, over a few seasons.  I suppose some groups that have their act together could migrate to BOA or something like that.

53 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, nobody's getting rich from drum corps.

Really? Hop made $200k plus benefits. Vendors. Maybe you should go read some 990’s to see what people are making 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree.  Adapt migrate, or die.  The death could be quick (like the dinosaurs, which took months (at most) to die out (except the avians)), or slower, over a few seasons.  I suppose some groups that have their act together could migrate to BOA or something like that.

BOA is scholastic