The Essential Issue

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Things happened even in the supposed halcyon era.

Read this article, it romanticizes the whole Crossmen tour in the West and their buses, infamous even then for being held together by baling wire spit and JB Weld:

http://joshinthesouth.blogspot.com/2009/02/crossmen-spirit-bond.html

I have friends and KK-Psi bros who rode those buses and told me about it in college. It wasn't as romantic as the link makes it out to be, let me tell you. They made the Pio buses look like The Ocean liner SS Normandie in its height of fame...

095e19d26b3ceb41dfe6e81b89404309.jpg

From the Cavaliers entry on Wikipedia:

"There was also an unacknowledged drug problem that came to a head in 1977 when several members almost died while returning from a show."

Things Westshore members saw in the Lot in 1982 at Championships in Montreal that were falling into this category as well.

Now with the Net, Social Media.... this stuff just can't run under the radar like it used to. With the amount the members pay in Fees/Tuition/whatever you want to call it.... way more is expected and should be. Just some food for though and some retrospective on the issue.

####, I remember the Cavaliers ODs in ‘77.  It was around the time we beat them for the first time ever. 

• Thanks 1

Saw those Crossmen busses in late 70s at Carlisle as they did an exhibition. No idea if it was the bus called the Hindenburg but one was blowing oil pretty bad. Front corner of one bus was just black from following it.

yeah being son of auto mechanic you notice stuff like that

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Saw those Crossmen busses in late 70s at Carlisle as they did an exhibition. No idea if it was the bus called the Hindenburg but one was blowing oil pretty bad. Front corner of one bus was just black in one front corner from following it.

yeah being son of auto mechanic you notice stuff like that

Some of that stuff on the road in the ‘70’s...omg.  We rode on school buses.

35 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Kilties had at least one in 75 or 76. Saw them leaving after Hershey show day after DCI. Bus had back emergency door open and guy sitting on the floor with legs hanging out. Just thought one good speed bump and car following the bus will run him over

Edited by JimF-LowBari

37 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I'm so glad it was the late 80's when I came around LOL. At least we had this marvelous thing called "air conditioning." You cats from 70's were tough as nails. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Kilties had at least one in 75 or 76. Saw them leaving after Hershey show day after DCI. Bus had back emergency door open and guy sitting on the floor with legs hanging out. Just thought one good speed bump and car following the bus will run him over

Those buses were party central. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'm so glad it was the late 80's when I came around LOL. At least we had this marvelous thing called "air conditioning." You cats from 70's were tough as nails. 

You haven’t lived until you’ve drank water with insects in it and were semi-thankful that you got a little protein in you. 

• Haha 2

At the risk of sounding like I'm piling on here...LOL... at times it has annoyed me that the DCA corps have been the ones with the bad reputations... with band directors and junior corps directors adding fuel to that fire..."bunch of old drunks" etc., when a whole bunch of DCI corps weren't exactly as pure as the driven snow.

NOT saying the DCA corps weren't our own worst enemy too often... we sure were, no question, with knucklehead behavior ... but come on now with the DCI corps back then.

True story... 1982, with DCA's Sunrisers, at the National Dream contest at Rutgers Stadium, we were in the parking lot getting ready when one of the DCI corps there came by on their buses... the buses stopped, the windows opened, and the corps members dumped their trash out  into the parking lot. Not kidding here. We were stunned. Didn't get a chance to run out and stop their buses to get those ####ers to get out and clean that stuff up. LOL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember vaguely...and I mean vaguely, being at a DCA show and one of the bus drivers decided he had enough (I simply don't remember the specifics,) and locked us out of the bus and decided he was going home with all of our stuff still on board. Luckily, when an entire corps decides to make a wall of people, you aren't going to get too far. It got resolved somehow. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I remember vaguely...and I mean vaguely, being at a DCA show and one of the bus drivers decided he had enough (I simply don't remember the specifics,) and locked us out of the bus and decided he was going home with all of our stuff still on board. Luckily, when an entire corps decides to make a wall of people, you aren't going to get too far. It got resolved somehow. 

We can laugh about it now.  The statute of limitations has expired.  😂 

• Haha 1