When Will We See A Full-Field Tarp in DCI?

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Notice you said guard shows; I said protection for wooden floors were many times required long before winter guard shows ever existed for real actual honor/color guards using real and actual weapons.

well that would have nothing to do with us or the reasons WE started with tarps

Just now, GUARDLING said:

well that would have nothing to do with us or the reasons WE started with tarps

Again, the fact remains that the use of tarps and other coverings to protect basketball courts from real and actual color guard weapon drops does pre-date any winter guard shows or artistic design. The idea that you do not have that in your personal experience does not chage that fact. And if the athletic directors you dealt with did not require floor protection then, well, they were idiots

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Again, the fact remains that the use of tarps and other coverings to protect basketball courts from real and actual color guard weapon drops does pre-date any winter guard shows or artistic design. The idea that you do not have that in your personal experience does not chage that fact. And if the athletic directors you dealt with did not require floor protection then, well, they were idiots

my experience is coast to coast so I do get the facts 🙂..Atheltic directors even today in a few places STILL bark at guard shows even with tarps  sometimes 2 so what came 1st the chicken or the egg...lol 

Edited by GUARDLING

1 minute ago, NakedEye said:

If the vendors figure out how to control the glare on them, fine. If they stay the blinding, reflective mess they are now, NEVER EVER EVER EVER!

It doesn't matter what is printed on them, because all you see is a big white flare. 

that can happen with the digital printing. some finishes are very shiny

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

my experience is coast to coast so I do get the facts 🙂..Atheltic directors even today in a few places STILL bark at guard shows even with tarps  sometimes 2 so what came 1st the chicken or the egg...lol 

I kind of look at it this way: if I ownd a pool hall in which I spent an enormous amout of cash on quality slate tables, and I also hosted local, state, regional, and possibly national pool/snooker competitions, it would be oughtright dumb of me to hold a trick-shot contest in which my tables would get dented due to the trick shooters using masse shots!

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I kind of look at it this way: if I ownd a pool hall in which I spent an enormous amout of cash on quality slate tables, and I also hosted local, state, regional, and possibly national pool/snooker competitions, it would be oughtright dumb of me to hold a trick-shot contest in which my tables would get dented due to the trick shooters using masse shots!

I can agree with you if it were me too. Doesn't change though how it was for our activity. BUT I can agree

50 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Never happened at guard shows and I've been doing it for many decades. If that were the case we all would have had to do it when it 1st started..and we didn't

I hear ya... went to any number of guard shows in the early to mid-1970s when I was in junior corps, and never recall a venue where tarps were required.

I also remember seeing a guard show in Wildwood, with American Legion guards competing (might have been part of AL States weekend), using actual weapons... and no tarp.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If the tarp is an integral part of the show design, y'all better get whacked hard in loss of visual points at performances in which it is not in use 

When Boston couldn't use the beach prop do to wind, their score that night took a small hit.  I'm thinking this took place before the wave props were added.

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

When Boston couldn't use the beach prop do to wind, their score that night took a small hit.  I'm thinking this took place before the wave props were added.

Live by the tarp die by the tarp. Should be the nature of the game.