Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

11 hours ago, garfield said:

Your ideas are, obviously, not invalid though.  It's the execution based on deliverables where the promise to sponsors breaks down.

Would you be opposed to expanding on this a little bit? I am always curious to know more about how the structure both succeeds and fails.

11 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I'd argue that DCI has many more eyeballs than they think/know they do, but they fail to capitalize on the prevalence of band geeks as a total portion of American society. It would be a huge effort on their part to coordinate a campaign that brought marching band/drum corps/winter guard geekery out of the shadows and showed it to be as common as it is, but the result would be worth it, in terms of identifying and monetizing it.

I agree with this statement 100%. Although the numbers may be lower than they were in the 80's for instance, there are still a LOT of band kids out there. Parents seem to be heavily involved as well (which can be annoyingly painful with all the show politics I keep hearing about at the HS level.) It just seems that if you can get the fans in the seats (perhaps by making the seats actually affordable,) then the sheer number of eyeballs would at least attract SOME additional sponsorship. I was introduced to DCI through my father in 1983 and in this day and age, I actually wonder if I'm a rarity.

10 hours ago, BigW said:

What kinds of things would a sponsor desire in terms of 'delieverables'? Appearances/performances are obvious, but what else? Maybe both sides aren't certain of it or need to think deeper about it.

I know we will never see it, but I would just love to see DCI's sponsor proposals. As was alluded by Slingerland and several others, is DCI even looking at the correct demographics? I would assume they are and I know they have some pretty sharp people in place...far sharper than I am. But that being said, there has been literally no noticeable growth in the advertising and outreach since I marched in the late 80's and early 90's....at least to my eyes.

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i didn't feel like upsetting my stomach

Now all I can think about is strapping on the pigs and running set after set while having the meat sweats. o_O

20 hours ago, gbass598 said:

How has nobody mentioned Arby’s in this topic of potential sponsors?

Now I know what the Bobs Burgers and Archer voice guy looks like in real life. I’m no one to talk but he needs to stick to voice work lol

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I do know they approached Under Armour, and UA saw no point in it, despite the fact corps kids and bad kids wear their stuff all the time

And that being the case, your point of having the right people in place to make the correct pitch comes into an even starker focus. It truly does make we wonder how bad the pitch could possibly be. Just looking at a quick hit list of their sponsorship, I see a paintball team, a ballet dancer, a rap artist and some surfers. I cannot for ONE SECOND believe that marching arts are more niche than paintball and surfing. My only thought would be that the pitch must truly be something like "So, like....It's like marching band...but it's better and cooler. We needs monies...Thanks, ❤️ DCI." and it's possibly written in crayon on a napkin. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Another thing about PBS and DCI is I understand their number of viewers were going down. So like any good business they looked for other things to draw in the buck$. Also to go with TimKs post they no longer have a nation wide event on a set date like DCI. Now local stations run shows with pledge breaks whenever they want. Easier to pick a better date and time to do it... or fill dead air.

You know, you bring up a very good underlying possibility here Jim. As I remember (that's a scary proposition since I can't find my shop keys most days,) the PBS broadcast was probably a couple of weeks behind actual finals night. We had no internet to speak of so you either went to shows, or waited anxiously for the latest copy of Drum Corps World to show up on your band directors desk so you could steal it and find out what was going on. I'm not saying the internet destroyed the connection between DCI and PBS, but when I can catch just about any corps at any show on some sort of live stream and watch the video tomorrow in HD on Youtube...I no longer have to wait with bated breath anymore. I really do miss DCI on PBS

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

You know, you bring up a very good underlying possibility here Jim. As I remember (that's a scary proposition since I can't find my shop keys most days,) the PBS broadcast was probably a couple of weeks behind actual finals night. We had no internet to speak of so you either went to shows, or waited anxiously for the latest copy of Drum Corps World to show up on your band directors desk so you could steal it and find out what was going on. I'm not saying the internet destroyed the connection between DCI and PBS, but when I can catch just about any corps at any show on some sort of live stream and watch the video tomorrow in HD on Youtube...I no longer have to wait with bated breath anymore. I really do miss DCI on PBS

I usually can’t find my glasses or work badge lol. I was thinking of the live finals broadcast and groveling for dollars ($1 to Mark Russell). For my  area that started 1975. As for the non live broadcasts locally it was Thanksgiving Day then good luck finding it. But locally only fund raising was the live Finals IIRC. 

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I usually can’t find my glasses or work badge lol. I was thinking of the live finals broadcast and groveling for dollars ($1 to Mark Russell). For my  area that started 1975. As for the non live broadcasts locally it was Thanksgiving Day then good luck finding it. But locally only fund raising was the live Finals IIRC. 

Ahhhh....that's probably exactly right. I'm betting it WAS Thanksgiving. We would all listen to dad curse about how much he hated cooking for 3 hours (he was a food services manager and a chef...go figure,) and then sit down and watch the broadcast. I guess 30+ years fades the memory a bit LOL. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And that being the case, your point of having the right people in place to make the correct pitch comes into an even starker focus. It truly does make we wonder how bad the pitch could possibly be. Just looking at a quick hit list of their sponsorship, I see a paintball team, a ballet dancer, a rap artist and some surfers. I cannot for ONE SECOND believe that marching arts are more niche than paintball and surfing. My only thought would be that the pitch must truly be something like "So, like....It's like marching band...but it's better and cooler. We needs monies...Thanks, ❤️ DCI." and it's possibly written in crayon on a napkin. 

But it is marching band. No way around it. So what it needs to be connected to is how pop rock utilizes drumilnes/bands and mass market drumlines are marketed because thise are popular as opposed to geeky.

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

But it is marching band. No way around it. So what it needs to be connected to is how pop rock utilizes drumilnes/bands and mass market drumlines are marketed because thise are popular as opposed to geeky.

I don't disagree at all Stu. I would just love to see what the current pitch is. 

55 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I don't disagree at all Stu. I would just love to see what the current pitch is. 

For me, if DCI wants to hire me to market their product I am open to negotiation; otherwise it does not matter to me one way or the other what their pitch is to secure sponsorships. But that is me.

Edited by Stu