Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

It took me a while to remember these but in late 1981 or early 1982 when we got cable for the first time we had: CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, HBO, Showtime, The Movie Channel, MTV, TBS, WGN, CBN, ESPN, CNN, Nickelodeon, Tlme/Weather, two or three local independents, and I think Bravo was added a few months later.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Harrisburg area isn't exactly urban, and we had it in the 70's. First place HBO went on the air? Scranton/Wilkes Barre area. Not exactly NYC bedroom community back then

While not exactly "urban", it's been in the top 50 Radio and TV markets in the US for a long, long time. Surprised me when I was shown that in the old Radio and Records Magazines and their top station lists in major markets.

13 hours ago, BigW said:

Kung Fu Theatre

Ahhhhh Kung Fu Theatre....how I miss you...

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Show me where I said they have to fork over $100 grand? You can't!!! However, I can show you where I stated they could think outside the box with a variation on internship. I am at least coming up with possible solutions; however you seem to just say they are just too poor to hire a $100 grand pro and that expensive professional is the only option

you want top marketing talent, even if you have an incentive based compensation, it ain't cheap.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Looks to me that in the early stsges half if not more were broadcast stations that were piped in by cable.

actually I think Prism morphed into Starz for the movies and the sports went to Sportsnet.

It was heaven...I got Phillies, Mets, Yankees and Orioles...all those classic broadcasters...I could listen to Harry and Whitney, flip over and get Scooter and Howard, then over to Kiner, then get Brooks calling the O's. Sadly when cable changed, we lost all of those out of region station when the sports leagues changed their broadcast areas,,,,it's only been since 2010 I was finally able to get more baseball that wasn't the Phils or national broadcasts

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually I think Prism morphed into Starz for the movies and the sports went to Sportsnet.

It was heaven...I got Phillies, Mets, Yankees and Orioles...all those classic broadcasters...I could listen to Harry and Whitney, flip over and get Scooter and Howard, then over to Kiner, then get Brooks calling the O's. Sadly when cable changed, we lost all of those out of region station when the sports leagues changed their broadcast areas,,,,it's only been since 2010 I was finally able to get more baseball that wasn't the Phils or national broadcasts

Couldn’t remember Starz but think you are right.

And before NHL shot themselves in both foot with broadcasting could watch Rangers and Islanders. Got to be a Rangers fan and a real pain in the butt when they won the cup in 1994. Sorry honey but let’s order out and eat at home... game seven tonight.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

you want top marketing talent, even if you have an incentive based compensation, it ain't cheap.

We both agree that they need a quality person doing marketing and securing sponsors. We also both agree that they cannot afford an extremely qualified extremely experienced extremely seasoned professional. My solution is to get the best college marketing major student available as an intern, let them be creative and think outside the box, with an incentive to pay for part of if not all of their college as they secure sponsors. You say since they can't afford the extreemly high priced professional they are shafted so forget about it!

Edited by Stu

51 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Couldn’t remember Starz but think you are right.

And before NHL shot themselves in both foot with broadcasting could watch Rangers and Islanders. Got to be a Rangers fan and a real pain in the butt when they won the cup in 1994. Sorry honey but let’s order out and eat at home... game seven tonight.

And after that night in 1994, Islanders fans had to retire the "1940" chant!!! :tongue:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

The turn over for this type of work is unbelievable. It's an extremely difficult job even for a seasoned person. Sponsors or donors 1st ask WHY you and not the charity down the block. Just getting in is daunting even for the professional. Every dollar today also looks for what do I also get in return. THIS as you say does not come cheap as well as takes a long time in building a possible relationship which constantly has to be nurtured in a very savvy way.

• Like 2