Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

The turn over for this type of work is unbelievable. It's an extremely difficult job even for a seasoned person. Sponsors or donors 1st ask WHY you and not the charity down the block. Just getting in is daunting even for the professional. Every dollar today also looks for what do I also get in return. THIS as you say does not come cheap as well as takes a long time in building a possible relationship which constantly has to be nurtured in a very savvy way.

Well said.

Every single non-profit has financial needs. In a perfect world, every one of those needs would be met with a nice check written by a benefactor or benefactors, corporate or otherwise.

But it's not a perfect world... and drum corps/DCI/the marching music activity has to get in line with all the rest, while hopefully trying to find a way to move up closer to the front of that line.

Heck... in a perfect world, for me at least, the Rutgers football team would be playing in the Rose Bowl and I would have 50-yard-line seats. :tongue:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

And after that night in 1994, Islanders fans had to retire the "1940" chant!!! :tongue:

Oh late in the season if Rangers were going to miss the playoffs their own fans would chant 1940 with that hand clap. First time I ever heard it and thought “man they are worse than Philly fans”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you want top marketing talent, even if you have an incentive based compensation, it ain't cheap.

100% true. There's probably plenty enough talent within the ranks of former MM's, directors, etc to make it happen even if it were multiple people filling in where they could. But I can't really see DCI reaching out and giving that much leeway to a thinktank to come up with a viable solution and make it actionable. 

It seems to my eyes and ears that DCI needs improvement on communication all the way around. I haven't seen very much in the way of any "calls to action" asking for help with their gaps in knowledge and / or experience. But I'm also not an insider in any way. 

20 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

100% true. There's probably plenty enough talent within the ranks of former MM's, directors, etc to make it happen even if it were multiple people filling in where they could. But I can't really see DCI reaching out and giving that much leeway to a thinktank to come up with a viable solution and make it actionable. 

It seems to my eyes and ears that DCI needs improvement on communication all the way around. I haven't seen very much in the way of any "calls to action" asking for help with their gaps in knowledge and / or experience. But I'm also not an insider in any way. 

I think that, if there are gaps in communications, it's between DCI and those who WANT to know, not necessarily between DCI and those who NEED to know.

There are myriad committees and groups working inside DCI that are made up of corps directors, DCI staff, and Board Consortium members who are filling the roles.  All told, it's something like 100 people inside and connected to drum corps who are currently working internally.

Yes, they ask for help and yes, they generally get committees that are rounded with lots of diverse professionals.

If anyone wants to become an "insider", it only takes attaining a position on the Board of a corps, then attending the Consortium meeting and putting up one's hand when they ask for volunteers to help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

We both agree that they need a quality person doing marketing and securing sponsors. We also both agree that they cannot afford an extremely qualified extremely experienced extremely seasoned professional. My solution is to get the best college marketing major student available as an intern, let them be creative and think outside the box, with an incentive to pay for part of if not all of their college as they secure sponsors. You say since they can't afford the extremely high priced professional they are shafted so forget about it!

tell me business expert how a college kid is going to get in the door?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And after that night in 1994, Islanders fans had to retire the "1940" chant!!! :tongue:

right, now they chant "2048"

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

tell me business expert how a college kid is going to get in the door?

In the door of a big kahuna like VF/Zildjian, which they just lost, or in the door of humerous named Bubba Burger, which they likely could secure?

30 minutes ago, garfield said:

I think that, if there are gaps in communications, it's between DCI and those who WANT to know, not necessarily between DCI and those who NEED to know.

There are myriad committees and groups working inside DCI that are made up of corps directors, DCI staff, and Board Consortium members who are filling the roles.  All told, it's something like 100 people inside and connected to drum corps who are currently working internally.

Yes, they ask for help and yes, they generally get committees that are rounded with lots of diverse professionals.

If anyone wants to become an "insider", it only takes attaining a position on the Board of a corps, then attending the Consortium meeting and putting up one's hand when they ask for volunteers to help.

Hundreds of people on a myriad of committees. Think about that for a moment; just think, discuss, resolve, write it down, and then think again. What do people do on committees? Think long enough and an epiphany will occur. And that epiphany will indicate the real inherent problem DCI faces.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

In the door of a big kahuna like VF/Zildjian, which they just lost, or in the door of humerous named Bubba Burger, which they likely could secure?

either. it's clear you don't get how marketing works