Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

1970's: PBS and 3 other big broadcast stations.

1980's: PBS, 3 other big broadcast stations, 40 cable stations, pay per view

1990's: PBS, 4 other big broadcast stations, 200 satellite/cable, pay per view, satellite simulcast ....Y2K.....2010....

2019: PBS, 4 other big broadcast, 400 satelite/cable, pay per view, satellite simulcast, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Flo....

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

1990's: PBS, 4 other big broadcast stations, 200 satellite/cable, pay per view, satellite simulcast ....Y2K.....2010....

2019: PBS, 4 other big broadcast, 400 satelite/cable, pay per view, satellite simulcast, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Flo....

Outstanding history.  Dang, I'm old.

But your point is that, what, exactly?  That drum corps should take more advantage of digital media?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I remember having cable in the ‘70’s when I still lived at home with my folks.  My Dad #####ed about it costing $8.95 a month. He’d flip his cookies if he saw the tab now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I remember having cable in the ‘70’s when I still lived at home with my folks.  My Dad #####ed about it costing $8.95 a month. He’d flip his cookies if he saw the tab now.

No kidding. I use a Kodi box mostly and luckily have a free hulu subscription. I am trying the Youtube TV thing right now and it's kinda, sorta ok. 

I think that DCI could do a better job of using Digital Media, but having butts in seats is the thing I would like to see change in the immediate future. Maybe that's just me though. I'm not so naive as to believe that we're going to see a 70K seat stadium packed to the rafters, but selling 10K more seats at a few dollars cheaper probably makes sense in the long run. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, garfield said:

Outstanding history.  Dang, I'm old.

But your point is that, what, exactly?  That drum corps should take more advantage of digital media?

Some mentioned the waining viewership on PBS for DCI. So no point other than showing what happened as it applies to viewership competition which pulled eyeballs away from PBS.

27 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The timeline is generic. While cable did appear in the 70's, it started in the larger metro areas an was not wide spread. I put it in the 80's because it became more and more common in smaller towns and communities across the nation. This breakdown was nothing more than a response to what happend to cause viewership numbers to go down for PBS.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

No kidding. I use a Kodi box mostly and luckily have a free hulu subscription. I am trying the Youtube TV thing right now and it's kinda, sorta ok. 

I think that DCI could do a better job of using Digital Media, but having butts in seats is the thing I would like to see change in the immediate future. Maybe that's just me though. I'm not so naive as to believe that we're going to see a 70K seat stadium packed to the rafters, but selling 10K more seats at a few dollars cheaper probably makes sense in the long run. 

I have advocated for years to drop the pro stadium major league tag push. DCI will never fill them like U2 or Lady Gaga! Same number of DCI fans at a university stadium like IU Bloomington is way more electric and exciting than seeing 3/4 empty seats at a pro stadium. The cost to lease is also less.

Just now, Stu said:

I have advocated for years to drop the pro stadium major league tag push. DCI will never fill them like U2 or Lady Gaga! Same number of DCI fans at a university stadium like IU Bloomington is way more electric and exciting than seeing 3/4 empty seats at a pro stadium. The cost to lease is also less.

Interesting, Freud.  It's that very thing that will prevent the activity from giving up on indoor drum corps.

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Interesting, Freud.  It's that very thing that will prevent the activity from giving up on indoor drum corps.

Of course you realize that the meaning of a word is based on context used, but you just couldn't resist poking at the electric 'instrument' issue could ya!!!

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

The timeline is generic. While cable did appear in the 70's, it started in the larger metro areas an was not wide spread. I put it in the 80's because it became more and more common in smaller towns and communities across the nation. This breakdown was nothing more than a response to what happend to cause viewership numbers to go down for PBS.

I grew up here in the Chicago suburbs so we did get it early on.