Let's Play A Game - You Can Only Go Forward

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Go see Here Come the Mummies live. Tell me they do not move and play and wear costumes! Or go see a Broadway show and try to ignore all of the choreography dance and movement, even manipulating items in their hands,  all in their costumes. Tower of Power, Stadium Rock Extravaganza. Nope they don't move, play, dance, LOL. And many in symphonies have been in high school or university marching ensrmbles, so they do have movement playing experience.

But alas, so goes the never ending self serving closed minded inner circle of drum corps folk. Where if you have not performed in a corps you have no clue, no sound judgement, no cradentials to make so called drum corps evaluations.

No wonder many on the outside professional world see the marching arts like this: If ya ain't been a marchin, a twirlin, or a spinnin, ya ain't good enough at tellin us folks what fer. We are drum corps dang it, and only respect them there folks who have done what we done to tells us what difference is between good bad stuff.

But they are way off, oh so way off. The marching arts is actually full of educated elite ego snobs who over pat themselves on the back thinking that their way is the only right way for drum corps to exist.

Anyway....

flawed examples all. good try tho. 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Tell the performers in Future Corps I said hello!!! Oh yeah, Disney realized that drum corps (as you invision it) was not viable for the future of real professional music entertainment way back in the year 2000. Carry on.

not even sure i'll be at Epcot....seems like the trip revolves around princesses and Disney Junior characters. At least the little bit of Star Wars stuff in Florida is by the Disney Jr stuff

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

I can tell you what the artistic people outside the world of drum corps say about drum corps or any pageantry art for that matter. Why do you limit yourself in your exploration of creativity? Why do you want to limit yourself to a set uniform/costume? Why do you limit yourself to the types of props and lighting that can be used if you are attempting to push the envelop of creativity?

The fact is there is a box that designers are placed in with the activity and if we want to continue to evolve and grow the activity we need to be willing to expand that box. Maybe there are limits to the expansion but that should not include what a corps wears, what they play or how they play it. If we want to restrict to brass instruments that is fine but cool it with the pissing and moaning about uniforms, Quit complaining about props. The end goal is ENTERTAINMENT and in the times we live in we need to be open to what  people react to be entertained. If you are old you have to get over the fact that times are changing. 

i heart you

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

Why? I hate to say it but WGI is the model for showing everyone that diversity conceptually can still be adjudicated. 

many of the same people and concepts working in both places

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

flawed examples all. good try tho. 

It is only flawed within your dogmatic interpritation and opinion of what defines good and bad or relative experience as it applies to drum corps. Some agree with you, others disagree with your assement. But I see no flaw in either your opinions or mine. My opinion is neither right nor wrong. Just like art is subjective, so is my opinion, and yours, of drum corps art. We both agree that there needs to be consistency in sheets and interpritaion in order to have fairness. But you rail at the thought of a possible paradigm shift messing up your belief of what makes for good drum corps evauation. I don't. It is no more serious than that.

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

not even sure i'll be at Epcot....seems like the trip revolves around princesses and Disney Junior characters. At least the little bit of Star Wars stuff in Florida is by the Disney Jr stuff

My cousin and his wife just got back from taking their grandkids to Disney. I asked him how it went. He said they spent hundreds on flight tickets, hundreds on motel and meals. Then on the first day they spent hundreds to get in and they stood in line for around three hours at each ride. On the second day they decided to spend hundreds on the get in front of the line passes. They stood in those lines for about two hours for each ride. At least the kiddos had a blast!

Edited by Stu

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

As an uncle who was never afraid to spoil and loves being the family photographer, I wish I had been able to join my siblings on a Disney trips when my nieces and nephews were young enough to enjoy the Disney Junior characters. The timing just did not work out.  Enjoy, because as I’m sure you know it won’t be long before they outgrow Doc McStuffins!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

It is only flawed within your dogmatic interpritation and opinion of what defines good and bad or relative experience as it applies to drum corps. Some agree with you, others disagree with your assement. But I see no flaw in either your opinions or mine. My opinion is neither right nor wrong. Just like art is subjective, so is my opinion, and yours, of drum corps art. We both agree that there needs to be consistency in sheets and interpritaion in order to have fairness. But you rail at the thought of a possible paradigm shift messing up your belief of what makes for good drum corps evauation. I don't. It is no more serious than that.

Nope. like when you try and compare the NCAA to DCI, you're trying to mix apples and oranges...actually avocados and squash.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

My cousin and his wife just got back from taking their grandkids to Disney. I asked him how it went. He said they spent hundreds on flight tickets, hundreds on motel and meals. Then on the first day they spent hundreds to get in and they stood in line for around three hours at each ride. On the second day they decided to spend hundreds on the get in front of the line passes. They stood in those lines for about two hours for each ride. At least the kiddos had a blast!

it's all about the newly minted 7 year old and her Disney nerd mommy LOL. Next year back to DE for 1/2 the cost and 1/1000000000th the annoying people 

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

As an uncle who was never afraid to spoil and loves being the family photographer, I wish I had been able to join my siblings on a Disney trips when my nieces and nephews were young enough to enjoy the Disney Junior characters. The timing just did not work out.  Enjoy, because as I’m sure you know it won’t be long before they outgrow Doc McStuffins!

oh I know! She is bummed PJ Masks aren't there yet....but now with Vampirina and Fancy Nancy meet and greets game over....and she told me she'd give Chewie a hug