Sound Reinforcement - who balances it best?

On 7/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, ironlips said:

Drum corps can't achieve all this, given their practical limitations, but the point is that there are standards for what constitutes good sound mixing in a stadium and some attention might be paid to them.

You make an important point.  Count me among those who would love to see sound mixing addressed on the judging sheets.  

On 7/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, jwillis35 said:

I think in terms of overall balance and allowing the brass and percussion to shine the most, I'd say Carolina Crown is the best. 

In terms of using all the bells and whistles (electronics, amps, voice, etc) I think Bluecoats make it sound so good and real.

As usual Jon nails it.

Crown has a very pure horn sound coming from the field.  Electronics are added to add punch to big moments, but it sounds right to me.

Also agree that Bloo does it right.  Their electronics are integrated into the show for effect and extremely effectively.

I heard both corps live! in practice and on the field this year.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:42 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Thanks for the rule clarification.  I also don't think a small music section / giant guard is a good idea.  But I do wonder when someone will try it out.

It was done by the Cadets, I think The Cadets of Bergen County one year, maybe in the 90's.  Fast ride in a short machine??  They had a huge amount of flags and a small horn line and predictably they were not very loud and not impressive musically.  They did not win that year, I'm thinking 6th.

Edited by wvu80

Crown makes it invisible.

Bluecoats make it relevant as a musical element.

2 different philosophies that could answer the question, depending on meaning.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:43 PM, KVG_DC said:

You could argue Phantom Regiment started to go there with that Phantasm show when they went with a larger guard at the expense of brass numbers.  They quickly moved away from it though.  

I don't think it was that big of a hit, though. I remember them having 72 brass.  I believe others out there go with 40-44 guard and 72 brass, as well.