Sound Reinforcement - who balances it best?

On 7/24/2019 at 6:12 PM, Cappybara said:

I don't know about the best but I do know BD uses way too much synth bass

Most corps do, not just BD. I think in terms of overall balance and allowing the brass and percussion to shine the most, I'd say Carolina Crown is the best.  In terms of using all the bells and whistles (electronics, amps, voice, etc) I think Bluecoats make it sound so good and real. Typically they have been my favorites when it comes to balancing in that regard. And Crown is my pick for exposing the rich sound of their brass and percussion,  but in part by eliminating the use of too many electronics. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

So far I haven't heard them all(not heard BD, Crown BAC nor BK), but of those I have heard live, I rate them as follows from best to less best:

Bluecoats, Cavaliers and Blue Stars.  The worst are: Cadets, Crossmen and Vanguards.

Heard them all outdoors and can't imagine how they will sound indoors.  Looking forward to hearing the rest at Allentown.  I refuse to attend DC indoors!

2 hours ago, ironlips said:

Science and calculus are fine, but the proof is in the audience experience. Please let us hear yours, especially the good.

The good?  Oh, there are the times when the amps fail and the corps has to perform without them - that is good.

You know as well as anyone that in drum corps, "sound reinforcement" means:

• proper breathing technique
  • correct embouchure
  • arranging in a comfortable playing range
  • chord structure
  • staging musicians for better projection

This "amp the whole corps" thing may be sold as "sound reinforcement", but the idea that it is not making things artificially louder is nonsensical.  The only question is whether there is any taste or subtlety to it, or just blare those speakers louder than the corps itself (Academy)... or make the loudest noise of the night, no matter what the cost in spectator pain and hearing loss (Blue Devils).

Amplifying the entire drum corps is disappointing.   What's to prevent a 25 member line from over-reaching, so to speak? To the point of absurdity. At least, as a primarily Flo audience member, I can dial it all down myself !

Edited by Fred Windish

46 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Amplifying the entire drum corps is disappointing.   What's to prevent a 25 member line from over-reaching, so to speak? To the point of absurdity. At least, as a primarily Flo audience member, I can dial it all down myself !

The day is coming where we will see a 25 member line (the 25 members including percussion) all amped & in the pit, with 120 guard on the field.   Or perhaps, because recorded music is allowed, one member in the pit to press 'play', and 149 guard on the field.

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The day is coming where we will see a 25 member line (the 25 members including percussion) all amped & in the pit, with 120 guard on the field.   Or perhaps, because recorded music is allowed, one member in the pit to press 'play', and 149 guard on the field.

I can't roll my eyes hard enough

Maybe this will do 

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

and 149 guard on the field.

The Academy in their 15 ballad had at least a 100 flags when they added the drum line.  Very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3PrLxDKKoc

( I still wonder why field percussion hasn't been used more in similar situations since GE/Visual is so important.)

Edited by Ghost

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I didn't say I thought it was a good idea.   But (successful) Drum Corps these days is a WGI-style show, so someone at some point will push it to its logical conclusion.

I'm more rolling my eyes at the gross exaggeration and doomsday predictions. 

I See it akin to someone opposed to stricter background checks because they're afraid the government will take their guns. It's just stupid and unrealistic leaps in logic. The slope isn't THAT slippery

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

Besides, if you're going to go hyperbole, go the full route.  Corps can go to 154 members now.  So it'll be 153 flags not 149.  🙄

• Haha 1