Kingston, NY -Saturday, August 3

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Any PA town with "Lewis" in it... nope, haven't worked a show there.  :tongue:

Lol doing both of those shows was always a breath holder as Westshoremen drove their own cars. At least once someone went to the wrong place. 

“Are Don and Harry driving together, haven’t seen them yet”. “Oh crap you think they went to....”.

last minute here they come “we were wondering why we couldn’t find the corps. Then we drove by the stadium and everything (including practice fields) were empty”

to me Lewistowns other name will always be “NOT Bucknell”. As in Larry saying this weeks show is Lewistown... followed by people yelling “NOT Bucknell”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I went in '04 to catch up with a Sun alum friend, see the DCA show, and because my brother-in-law with Cabs Alumni needed a ride home.  LOL.

Any PA town with "Lewis" in it... nope, haven't worked a show there.  :tongue:

Heh... a few times, people would ask me if I was "working the Harrisburg indoor show again."  I told those folks I must do a pretty good Larry Hershman impersonation, because he emceed that show every year!!!

you did work in several....as a performer

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol doing both of those shows was always a breath holder as Westshoremen drove their own cars. At least once someone went to the wrong place. 

“Are Don and Harry driving together, haven’t seen them yet”. “Oh crap you think they went to....”.

last minute here they come “we were wondering why we couldn’t find the corps. Then we drove by the stadium and everything (including practice fields) were empty”

to me Lewistowns other name will always be “NOT Bucknell”. As in Larry saying this weeks show is Lewistown... followed by people yelling “NOT Bucknell”.

Growing up in Lewistown, yes the place is constantly being confused with Lewisburg, WHY, I have no clue. Both are quite different. I think the last time a DCA show was in Lewistown was... 1985 IIRC, Bush and Steel were the big hitters.

The Lions used to host the show, and I think the last Lewistown show was run by the beginnings of Five Star Productions in some way shape or form. Problems eventually arose because the Lions rep wasn't clear to the rest of the Lions that he was doing certain things financially to attract his personal faves. Andy J. and I talked about that awhile ago on this forum. The likely scenario was that the top names were guaranteed certain money regardless of placement... or some extra expenses for the appearance. 

I believe there was a time gap between the 1979 show and that 1985 show. I also believe the DCA archives have both Lewistown and Lewisburg utterly confused. The Lewistown contests were generally early in June, until 1979 when it was over DCI weekend.

Anyhow, good reasons for Fran not to have announced that contest- it was long gone before he started. As for the Lewisburg show and Milton.... loaded question- are they still using the same person as they did last year? I didn't go this year and have no clue.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lmao.. agency picnic got moved due to hotel across the street being sold (again).

new location in LewisBERRY PA...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you did work in several....as a performer

That was so cool to finally be on that stage... as a performer, and as a roadie for those first three years.  LOL. 

Heh... the first year we performed at the York show, 2012, I was outside with the rest of the pit folks, helping unload the truck... and you could hear whoever was the emcee from the auditorium right inside the door. And some guy came by and asked me I was working the show. While we both could hear the emcee talking!!!  :blink:

Ya can't make this stuff up. :tongue:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

As for the Lewisburg show and Milton.... loaded question- are they still using the same person as they did last year? I didn't go this year and have no clue.

The gentleman who worked the Lewisburg show for years, and then Milton last year, is no longer doing the show.

Barry Seltzer was the announcer this year, so they were in good hands.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BigW said:

Growing up in Lewistown, yes the place is constantly being confused with Lewisburg, WHY, I have no clue. Both are quite different. I think the last time a DCA show was in Lewistown was... 1985 IIRC, Bush and Steel were the big hitters.

The Lions used to host the show, and I think the last Lewistown show was run by the beginnings of Five Star Productions in some way shape or form. Problems eventually arose because the Lions rep wasn't clear to the rest of the Lions that he was doing certain things financially to attract his personal faves. Andy J. and I talked about that awhile ago on this forum. The likely scenario was that the top names were guaranteed certain money regardless of placement... or some extra expenses for the appearance. 

I believe there was a time gap between the 1979 show and that 1985 show. I also believe the DCA archives have both Lewistown and Lewisburg utterly confused. The Lewistown contests were generally early in June, until 1979 when it was over DCI weekend.

Anyhow, good reasons for Fran not to have announced that contest- it was long gone before he started. As for the Lewisburg show and Milton.... loaded question- are they still using the same person as they did last year? I didn't go this year and have no clue.

the same guy no one can understand? He's still alive? he looks 100

• Haha 1