Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

WOW! Like BD I believe it’s indicates more about the organization than the competitors. Strengthen the competition to become better and more competitive. 

Yes but, as has been previously discussed, DCA corps outside the northeast have to bear significant costs that the northeast corps do not. Judged on that scale, Minnesota Brass, by placing in the top three of four for so many years, was probably "better" than the Reading Buccaneers, who have been first or second for more than a decade.

In an ideal world, DCA would complete its competitive season the weekend before DCI Championships in Indy. Unfortunately, that would require DCA corps to begin some sort of meaningful, competitive action about mid-May.  We’ve all heard the many reasons why starting earlier is just not possible. Or, maybe it is. . .

How about a 4 weekend series of judged indoor standstills using brass and percussion only? The field show component, with Color Guard and other enhancements beginning a month later. Using the same standstill music, plus.

Here’s hoping DCA can have productive meetings over the off-season and design a more workable model for 2020 and beyond.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I remember the Renegades. Knew a few BD and Vanguard people who joined too. Me, Stephan and other friends were being encouraged to join but we didn’t. Could never understand what they were trying to accomplish. Most ruined a perfectly wonderful junior drum corps career joining them, many had won DCI World Championships. 

I got to know several of the folks with the Renegades.... and if they were "ruining" their drum corps career, you could have fooled me. It appears to be an awfully high horse you're riding on here.

Folks like Larrie Dastrup, Jeff DeMello, Chris Nalls, Bonnie Ott-Thompson, and others.... BD stalwarts (one of them is still involved with BD's BOD, from what I understand) who sure seemed to be having a great time with the Renegades, enjoying their "second time around" in drum corps.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

I got to know several of the folks with the Renegades.... and if they were "ruining" their drum corps career, you could have fooled me. It appears to be an awfully high horse you're riding on here.

It was a harsh statement but it was my viewpoint, not intended to say they did. BTW Stephan said hello Fran 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes but, as has been previously discussed, DCA corps outside the northeast have to bear significant costs that the northeast corps do not. Judged on that scale, Minnesota Brass, by placing in the top three of four for so many years, was probably "better" than the Reading Buccaneers, who have been first or second for more than a decade.

People have used that analogy about BD too. 

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

It was a harsh statement but it was my viewpoint, not intended to say they did. BTW Stephan said hello Fran 

Fair enough... and it's nice that you've been posting on this thread and others. You make a lot of good points.

DCA could use all the input, and different perspectives, that it can get.

Just now, Poppycock said:

People have used that analogy about BD too. 

If you mean that BD is arguably even better than their scores suggest because they (and the other California corps) have travel burdens that the east and midwest corps don't, then I agree -- although it's been said that DCI provides some sort of limited subsidy based on the distance between a corps' home and Indianapolis.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

How about a 4 weekend series of judged indoor standstills using brass and percussion only?

Heck.... if that started the second weekend of May, the Bucs could clean everyone's clock indoors!!!  :tongue: (Since they come out ready to roll at their Spring Preview stage show every year that weekend.)

Edited by Fran Haring

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heck.... if that started the second weekend of May, the Bucs could clean everyone's clock indoors!!!  :tongue: (Since they come out ready to roll at their Spring Preview stage show every year that weekend.)

Except that only one corps had a complete show at Wildwood this year, and they weren't the one 🤣.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Except that only one corps had a complete show at Wildwood this year, and they weren't the one 🤣.

OK... leave mid-June out of this.  :laughing:

You are correct. First time in several years. (Not you being correct, but the Bucs not having a full show out there at Wildwood.  LOL.)

• Haha 1