It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

On 8/31/2019 at 11:40 AM, MikeRapp said:

The very nature of dci ensures that there will be almost no change in the power rankings year to year. The richest corps remain so by being able to recruit away the most experienced members from second tier corps. This ensures that they will be able to remain top tier and therefore pay the best educators more money...and the cycle continues.

Mandarins remains the lone outlier so far, but they have no realistic chance of medaling in the next three years imo. Might even say five.

It seems there are two ways to break this mold: have your corps director be revealed as a fraud and habitual abuser; and/or pay a #### ton of money to a tier one corps caption leaders and have them bring their best students with them.

Really? Explain Madison. Phantom. Cadets 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:54 PM, MikeN said:

I don't see the correlation there.  Maybe the other way around - attract the best educators and remain top tier.  I really and truly don't think BD has rigged the system.  I think they're just incredibly good at what they do.  

Mike

Since 1975

4 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I’ve been trying to come up with an idea for improving the finances and I think I’ve hit a brick wall. I think the key to running a successful non profit is - a large endowment. That way you can plan strategically instead of just breaking even until next season. Know any sugar daddies / mamas?

Diversify income streams.

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

I'm still trying to figure out who the customer is, usually it's the people that are paying. So, the fans in the stands? The members? The donors? All of the above?

It's no different now than it ever was:  Start with giving the MMs a fabulous experience, then put them in front of adoring fans so they can wow them with a great performance in return for rousing applause and activity bragging rights.

It's just more expensive now and there are fewer opportunities to march.  Otherwise the formula is the same as ever.

• Like 1

Just a few thoughts back to my original post and in response to some of the replies:

Could significant growth in revenue help the activity?

DCI is a governing body and also the organizers for the activity. Could the organizers of the activity create scale opportunities for the good of all groups?

My starting point for growth is the marching arts. Why would big companies want to get involved with uniform and equipment sponsorships? Why does Yamaha do it already? They are seeking to sell their product to the thousands of college and marching bands out there. Same is true if we were too get a major footwear company involved - provide for all corps and get access to the college and High School marching n=bands. An so on.

Totally agree on revenue diversification. That is the business model fro Inspire Arts & Music. The one that makes the most sense id partnering with BOA and maybe WGI. If a core competence is running events and partnering with the corps, then why not run events throughout the year?

Still believe in bundle buying power for all major purchases/leases for the activity: buses, tractors, chase vehicles, sleepers, staple food products etc..

There needs to be a spending cap.  Even MLB and NFL understand these things to keep competition on a level playing field.  This should also include the sweetheart deals from manufacturers.  Either include ALL corps or none.

4 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

There needs to be a spending cap.  Even MLB and NFL understand these things to keep competition on a level playing field.  This should also include the sweetheart deals from manufacturers.  Either include ALL corps or none.

If one rolls this around in one's head for just a few minutes, one quickly comes to the realization that it's akin to telling the very successful and massively profitable as well as impeccably run Blue Devils how, or how much, to spend their hard-earned money, because it is simply folly.  They, and every other successful corps, will say "Since when is this activity about punishing success to keep everyone equal?  Get better.  Here, we'll help."

They already have, and you know it's a hard argument to refute.

That said, one counter-argument is that corps can spend any amount they want on anything outside of DCI competition, including recruiting and outreach, even running separate organizations that produce revenue, but they can only spend up to XX to put a corps on the DCI competition field.  Also a worthy argument, especially if handed down by vote of the member corps. 

• Like 1

Spending cap and a draft for staff? The money isn't big enough to change where staff wants to go, so that would never happen. They will go where they want to go or drop out completely. Which is a bigger factor? Staff or money?

16 hours ago, SuperSaderFan said:

Just a few thoughts back to my original post and in response to some of the replies:

Could significant growth in revenue help the activity?

<snip>

I read the remainder of your post but I returned here.  Interesting question.

I wonder if there is a more poignant thought:

Could significant growth in revenue help the activity if the revenue were concentrated increasingly in the winning-est corps coffers?  Or could significant growth in revenue help the activity best if its benefits were equally spread among all member corps?

2 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Spending cap and a draft for staff? The money isn't big enough to change where staff wants to go, so that would never happen. They will go where they want to go or drop out completely. Which is a bigger factor? Staff or money?

"Drop out completely"?  Hmmm, seems hard to believe.