I say.....the greatest "Concert" is............

Dan

Whooops! I forgot one. "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair," Madison Scouts, 1970

One of my all time favorites as well. It was way ahead of its time. The solo work musicianship was outstanding. I loved the deep moodiness of this arrangement.

Geoff

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was 74. 1975 was La Fiesta.

Loved, LOVED 1975 Muchachos "La Fiesta!" First corps I saw live! In an early-season exhibition in Columbia, SC, it seems I remember a bit of "extra", kind of "chaotic" percussion leading into "La Fiesta" that wasn't there by the (premature)end of the season!

Having said all that, Madison's "MacArthur Park" is great, too.

But...I still think "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor" is the all-time top concert number.

1. Strawberry Soup - Madison 83

2 (tie). La Fiesta - BD 84

2 (tie). One More Time 82

3. Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor - BD 76

(gotta have 'em all!)

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum

Dan

Whooops! I forgot one. "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair," Madison Scouts, 1970

One of my all time favorites as well. It was way ahead of its time. The solo work musicianship was outstanding. I loved the deep moodiness of this arrangement.

Geoff

That bari's tone was incredible. I agree with it being ahead of its time....it'd be kind of interesting to hear that song re-done 30 or so years later.

I'm absolutely biased, but I preferred the Kilties' Mac Park (68 1/2-70) to the Scouts!

Also liked Eli's Coming from Kilts -73 or 74 - it grew on me the more I heard it, and especially since Ken Norman arranged it!

:wall::wacko: Thinking back, brain now in gear, I have to agree with RobH. Kilts version definitly beats Madison.

Mike

I'm with you guys. Kilts' Mac Park revolutionized the art of concert!

A few of my "Faves", 1960s vintage:

St Kevins Emerald Knights: "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" & "Ramparts Street Parade".

Racine Kilties: "MacArthur Park"

St Catherines Queensmen: "Tin Roof Blues".

Cambridge Caballeros: "Maleguena"

Madison Scouts: "Ballet in Brass"

Chicago Royal Airs: "Birth of the Blues" & "New Orleans"

Vasella Musketeers: "American Patrol"

Boston Crusaders: "It Was a Very good Year"

St Raphaels Buccaneers: "Trumpet Blues"

Elphaba

Wanted to add a couple more "oldies but goodies" -

27th Classical Gas (70??)

Troopers - 68-70

Boston Crusaders - Dam Busters - 1967-68

And now for some historic trivia: Kilties had a mediocre concert number in 68, something called Concerto in B or something close, when Ken Norman came up in mid to late season with a simply AMAZING arrangement of Mac Park. Hearing it played at 68 Nationals, almost flawlessly and beautifully, convinced me that from that point of the show on, the Mad Plaid had VFW Nationals in the bag!

Kilts played it FIRST, you Scouts - neener neener neener!!!!!

b**bs