MADISON SCOUTS City of Angels: 1991 vs 1992

So which was better?  I prefer the more “restrained” 1991 version, if you can ever call the Scouts restrained.  It was more like the 1988 opener than Malaga or the Pirates.  In 1991 they closed with the more light-hearted “I’m Nothing Without You”.  In 1992 they left it out and went straight to ripping our faces off with a kicked-up “Funny”.  This was the start of the Madison “rip your face off" style that dominated from 1992-1998.  Lots of fun!  Any thoughts?

Had to watch them both again. I'm gonna have to go with '92 as well. MUCH better drill than '91 and that horn line just rips your face off in the last minute or so. I didn't have a baby by my computer so I threw my mouse at the screen instead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The tweaks from 91 to 92 make all the difference.... and finals site helped 

23 hours ago, Skeletor '96 said:

So which was better?  I prefer the more “restrained” 1991 version, if you can ever call the Scouts restrained.  It was more like the 1988 opener than Malaga or the Pirates.  In 1991 they closed with the more light-hearted “I’m Nothing Without You”.  In 1992 they left it out and went straight to ripping our faces off with a kicked-up “Funny”.  This was the start of the Madison “rip your face off" style that dominated from 1992-1998.  Lots of fun!  Any thoughts?

That 92  soprano line was piercing so I vote for 92  😁

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The tweaks from 91 to 92 make all the difference.... and finals site helped 

I think a great example (that I can think of,) a corps playing the same piece back to back and getting it right the 2nd time. As a young fan and then an MM, I was not very amicable to it. As a much older fan, I can sit back without all of the emotion of "who I want to win / place" weighing on me. 

I would have to agree too that a hometown advantage is something that shouldn't be dismissed. 1991 was what...Dallas if I remember right? No one was going to beat Star that year IMHO regardless of the venue. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

47 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

No one was going to beat Star that year IMHO regardless of the venue. 

Possibly the same for 65 Royal Airs, 08 Phantom, 14 Blue Devils, and 16 Bluecoats.

Bonus audio of the 65 RA inside the 65 VFW.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lz7-V_Vt-w

Edited by Ghost

Gotta go with 92.  Moving Funny to the closer, along with the drum break, were really what moved it past 91.  Both years were tremendous, though.