It's been two years

16 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

or no longer actively involved wouldn't trigger anything in the way of actiont, so it's dubious as to the value of such a call.

What about the next activity they move onto?  Don't you think that group might like a heads up?

24 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

It would. And if DCI was in a position to do anything about it they would. At the same time, it's worth realizing that calling the hotline to report first-hand claims about someone who is either dead or no longer actively involved wouldn't trigger anything in the way of actiont, so it's dubious as to the value of such a call.

I think there are 2 parts here.

W/R/T individuals that are accused & are dead, well, the Catholic Church still reports to law enforcement, and if deemed credible (however that is determined) publishes the names of the accused as there may still be other victims still living.  

Concerning individuals accused (at some level), but no longer involved in Drum Corps, that is a more dicey issue.  The individual who we are thinking about here (but not naming) has indeed fallen off the planet w/r/t Drum Corps.  I have no idea of what they are doing now.

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

W/R/T individuals that are accused & are dead, well, the Catholic Church still reports to law enforcement, and if deemed credible (however that is determined) publishes the names of the accused as there may still be other victims still living.  

Concerning individuals accused (at some level), but no longer involved in Drum Corps, that is a more dicey issue.  The individual who we are thinking about here (but not naming) has indeed fallen off the planet w/r/t Drum Corps.  I have no idea of what they are doing now.

The accused may be gone but I’m thinking of dealing with the enablers. Some of them may still be living or *gag* still in a position of authority 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Why do they need to come forward publicly?  Shouldn't a call to the aforementioned DCI hotline suffice?

they could do that too. however for some reason, on this topic, no one will come forward to anyone anywhere and name names. so until someone does, DCP tried to stay out of the topic so they arent sued out of existence. rumors on this topic have been floating for years, and you would think given all that has happened in the last 2 years, someone would have reported something. but they have not, and in speaking to Naldony, she was frustarted she couldn't get anyone to go on record about it. She had some info, but nothing vetted nearly wel enough to publish like she did on everything else....and she works for USA Today now, so imagine the story breaking there

20 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

various statutes of limitations may also be an issue

57 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

While each state has its own reporting laws, when it comes to minors, the rule of thumb is to report all cases to law enforcement, regardless of how long ago something took place or whether the perpetrator is dead or alive. They will make sure it goes through the proper channels. It also protects the one who has the information. You also make a verbal phone call and send a copy in writing and include the name of the person you reported it to and the day and time. 

Regarding the publishing on names even if the accused is deceased, that often comes about with agreements with district attorneys/Attorneys General between the organization that had the abusers such as religious groups, scouting groups, schools. It usually comes because of cover ups. In the past few years I have noticed that prep schools are publishing the names of abusers, some of whom are dead, just as religious groups do, and it is often part of an agreement with prosecutors to avoid charges. 

As I say this, drum corps is complicated as far as this issue is concerned. Corps are members of DCI but DCI does not have real juridical authority over corps. Corps X could say allegations have been made about so and so who instructed here and at Corps Y and Z. However there could be legal issues if DCI did the same thing. Remember the relationship between DCI and individual corps is very different from the relationship a Catholic diocese has with its parishes or clergy or the Boy Scouts has with troops and scout leaders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1