In The News – Canton Bluecoats Face Uncertainty After DCI Season Canceled

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Ronald Reagan, from San Antonio, is indeed the top high school marching band at present whose school is named for a President.

(Another Texas band named for a First Lady, Claudia Taylor Johnson, is a regular finalist at major shows over the past several years.)

In my estimation, the top high school bands would score in the high 70s in DCI.

They are very good.................for a band  🙂

6 minutes ago, Bearscott85 said:

I wanted to bring this money topic up in the very beginning of this topic....anyone have any thoughts on BOA?

Only that..........it disturbs me (like fingernails on a chalkboard)  that band and Drum Corps keeps getting mentioned in the same breath here.

"NO!!!  We're not a marching band, we're a DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS!"

Old habit die hard.

12 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Only that..........it disturbs me (like fingernails on a chalkboard)  that band and Drum Corps keeps getting mentioned in the same breath here.

Old habit die hard.

lol.might be time.let it go...it's been decades. Both activities need each other. No reason for the 70s snobbery..Which I might add back then I was guilty of also..Like most

Bands are quite different in this century and alot of last century and so is Drum Corps......

Edited by GUARDLING

39 minutes ago, Bearscott85 said:

I wanted to bring this money topic up in the very beginning of this topic....anyone have any thoughts on BOA?

for any band circuit, a lot of it will be when A) schools decide to let groups in, even for rehearsals and B) their fall plans. being an administrator in a circuit, i can tell you, we have plans a-z right now. a is we can go as planned, z being we have to cancel like we did the remainder of indoor

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Old habit die hard.

hasn't been a bugle since they added a valve

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

lol.might be time.let it go...it's been decades. Both activities need each other. No reason for the 70s snobbery..Which I might add back then I was guilty of also..Like most

Bands are quite different in this century and alot of last century and so is Drum Corps......

I see you’ve surrendered to the “Bandos”.  It happens.  Too much fraternization.  

I stopped marching well before my age-out year because our corps folded. Having nothing else to do I enrolled at the University of Southern California.  During enrollment I went to their recruiting table, introduced myself, and attend one of their practices.  

Holy Mother!!!  The phasing, crooked lines, intonation problems, “drum line”, horrid mid-west style marching, minstrel turns, lack of discipline (who hides beer in a tuba?).

Hard pass.

46 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I see you’ve surrendered to the “Bandos”.  It happens.  Too much fraternization.  

I stopped marching well before my age-out year because our corps folded. Having nothing else to do I enrolled at the University of Southern California.  During enrollment I went to their recruiting table, introduced myself, and attend one of their practices.  

Holy Mother!!!  The phasing, crooked lines, intonation problems, “drum line”, horrid mid-west style marching, minstrel turns, lack of discipline (who hides beer in a tuba?).

Hard pass.

Surrendered? No, realistic, no judgement, YES, Knowing if not for the " BANDOS" we may not have a Drum Corps activity.

AS far as your experience, maybe you just went to the wrong place. It isn't exclusive to bands, I can tell your corps who had those same lack of qualities  from over the years and can also give you bands names who would make your head spin. College band can also be quite different from HS band programs

The snobbery toward bands wasn't attractive BITD ( and I was guilty also ) but ridiculous today.

Bands in this century are quite different and so are Drum Corps. Actually I can include a lot of the last few decades of the past century in that.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Hard pass.

Ahhh yes....the Marching Condoms from the University of Spoiled Children.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Ahhh yes....the Marching Condoms from the University of Spoiled Children.

Kal Dirty Hippy or a Furd? (I'm only assuming because "BD" in your name)

Can't rule out the possibility of a bRUIN either.

But, whatever.  In the activity that really matters - football - you've been dominated by us.

Fight On!  ✌️