Boston Crusaders Virtual Concert In The Park Postponed

Good to hear with Crusaders as came out in the news that a MLB player has a “don’t trade me to Boston” clause with any team he plays for. Reason is Fenway is where he hears the most racial slurs “including people with their kids right next to them”. Someone needs to show the right path

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Good to hear with Crusaders as came out in the news that a MLB player has a “don’t trade me to Boston” clause with any team he plays for. Reason is Fenway is where he hears the most racial slurs “including people with their kids right next to them”. Someone needs to show the right path

Interesting case in point. The Red Sox issued a statement where they did not deny that the incidents Torii Hunter mentioned, allege his comments were false, nor did they sugar coat it. They admitted it in a public statement. They also have a record they can fall back on, namely other incidents happening and the swift action taken. The Red Sox have no problem  banning people from the park who have been caught using racial slurs. One person was banned for life, was caught trying to enter a Fenway, and arrested for trespassing. This is a huge change. As little as twenty years ago if you were a person of color, you did not sit in the bleachers at Fenway. Boston has a checkered past as far as race is concerned, no question, and Boston still has a long way to go, but Boston does not run away from dealing with racism.

While not excusing racial slurs at Fenway Park, Fenway Park is an iconic landmark in Boston, but does not define Boston. I think that a city that is now majority minority city with a city council that represents the diversity of the city, neighborhoods (the word Boston uses for sections such as Dorchester, Roxbury, Hyde Park, Brighton,....) that were once clearly defined by race which are now safe and racially diverse, a crime rate which has been reduced significantly and racial crimes have been reduced even more, are important factors too. 

Another important thing to remember regarding drum corps and Boston. For many of the corps in the Greater Boston area, people of color did not exactly find welcome on the doormat unless the person was exceptionally talented. Each was quick to point the finger at other corps and call them racist. We are talking about a different time, but racial diversity was not valued back in the day.

16 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Interesting case in point. The Red Sox issued a statement where they did not deny that the incidents Torii Hunter mentioned, allege his comments were false, nor did they sugar coat it. They admitted it in a public statement. They also have a record they can fall back on, namely other incidents happening and the swift action taken. The Red Sox have no problem  banning people from the park who have been caught using racial slurs. One person was banned for life, was caught trying to enter a Fenway, and arrested for trespassing. This is a huge change. As little as twenty years ago if you were a person of color, you did not sit in the bleachers at Fenway. Boston has a checkered past as far as race is concerned, no question, and Boston still has a long way to go, but Boston does not run away from dealing with racism.

While not excusing racial slurs at Fenway Park, Fenway Park is an iconic landmark in Boston, but does not define Boston. I think that a city that is now majority minority city with a city council that represents the diversity of the city, neighborhoods (the word Boston uses for sections such as Dorchester, Roxbury, Hyde Park, Brighton,....) that were once clearly defined by race which are now safe and racially diverse, a crime rate which has been reduced significantly and racial crimes have been reduced even more, are important factors too. 

Another important thing to remember regarding drum corps and Boston. For many of the corps in the Greater Boston area, people of color did not exactly find welcome on the doormat unless the person was exceptionally talented. Each was quick to point the finger at other corps and call them racist. We are talking about a different time, but racial diversity was not valued back in the day.

Has that really all just changed ? Poof its gone? 

Personally seen things in Boston and surrounding areas that I have not seen in the deep south. Not that it was not happening or had never happened. 

I do remember someone in Boston trying to lecture and say ignorant things about the south when the very place they lived had their own issues. Point being - this is a problem in the country not just localized sections. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, E3D said:

Has that really all just changed ? Poof its gone? 

Personally seen things in Boston and surrounding areas that I have not seen in the deep south. Not that it was not happening or had never happened. 

I do remember someone in Boston trying to lecture and say ignorant things about the south when the very place they lived had their own issues. Point being - this is a problem in the country not just localized sections. 

I never said racial problems are gone and never said it changed, in the past tense. I think what I provide shows Boston is changing, present tense.I think a city council that reflects The diversity of the city, more integrated neighborhoods with lower crime rates and fewer racially motivated crimes are proof of change taking place. Far more needs to be done. Areas that need serious attention would include the schools, particularly the high schools where the drop out rate is still too high, lack of good, affordable housing, and job opportunities.  

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

Areas that need serious attention would include the schools, particularly the high schools where the drop out rate is still too high, lack of good, affordable housing, and job opportunities.  

In most areas of the country, more dollars per student has been raised for years, but our country education ranking, as a whole, is far below some smaller and poorer countries.  

In Metro Boston, the huge Columbia Point Housing Projects was built for minorities and apartments were subsidized.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Point,_Boston

Leading up to the C19 situation, nation wide, the minority community had the lowest unemployment rates in decades.

For the most part, no matter what race a child is, having two parents makes a huge difference.  It seems to me, every child has access to a public education.  If there is not a strong family situation, with parents involved with their children every day, we get the negative statistics.  A little tough love can go along way.