Flo Marching and 2021 DCI Season

12 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Don't get me started...

Videos of 20 high school bands at state finals, with 3 angles that miss every important part of the show? $40

Flash drives, because you "can't fit at lest 1080p on a regular DVD, nobody wants our Blu-rays which ONLY cost $100"? $5

Copyright costs for each set of "high quality flash drives"? $20

Total cost for a high school state marching band flash drive? $65+ tax

Accusing someone a volunteer of stealing a $5 HDMI cable from Amazon? Priceless.

was this Flo or Box5?

On 5/25/2021 at 2:08 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

I think I’m hitting a coding bug in their system. I had a membership and cancelled because 2020 season was a no go. Now I can log into the cancelled account but can’t find anything to rejoin. System seems to think if I have an account on file then I am an active (paying) member. Sound like stuff I used to look for when I was checking systems in my old job 🤮

Ha - I've spent part of my career working in digital usability.  The things I used to solve for were also glaring me in the face when trying to find a group I worked with.  I don't mind throwing this on the internet because they're based in Austin and I know there's decent tech talent there.  Not trying to trash Flo, they've come a LONG way and overall it is a good offering (good, not great).  

It was also FloMarching adapting to 4 activities that were also adapting to students who were also adapting, and so on.  *Obligatory pandemic acknowledgement* I'm being nitpicky about their UX, but I still gladly paid for it and I will choose to continue to pay for it, since it's better than the alternative (which is having zero digital exposure, other than disparate streaming locations).  So, fingers crossed they learned from this last season's experiment and implement some ways to make the interface more usable.  They've done a great job shoring up their bread and butter, which is the content.  Switching from livestream to user-generated content could have been a disaster for them.  It wasn't.  Only mildly annoying at times, but never when it matters.

4 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

Ha - I've spent part of my career working in digital usability.  The things I used to solve for were also glaring me in the face when trying to find a group I worked with.  I don't mind throwing this on the internet because they're based in Austin and I know there's decent tech talent there.  Not trying to trash Flo, they've come a LONG way and overall it is a good offering (good, not great).  

It was also FloMarching adapting to 4 activities that were also adapting to students who were also adapting, and so on.  *Obligatory pandemic acknowledgement* I'm being nitpicky about their UX, but I still gladly paid for it and I will choose to continue to pay for it, since it's better than the alternative (which is having zero digital exposure, other than disparate streaming locations).  So, fingers crossed they learned from this last season's experiment and implement some ways to make the interface more usable.  They've done a great job shoring up their bread and butter, which is the content.  Switching from livestream to user-generated content could have been a disaster for them.  It wasn't.  Only mildly annoying at times, but never when it matters.

Lol I can dig it.... Part of my job was trying to “break” systems before release.

“Hey if I do this, it crashes”.

”You’re not supposed to do that”

”Yeah but I CAN do it. If I can do it, eventually some user will do it. Do you wanna fix it now or wait for something to hit the fan”.

”grumble, grumble...”

• Like 2

Let me clarify something on Box5. The coffee pot wasn’t their fault. I’ve mocked it but the blame needs to go to DCA.

why do I say that? Well when you run your world championships in a venue that is logistics nightmare galore and have band boosters involved that don’t understand the logistics, coffee pot issues happen. So for those that think I’m bashing Box5, no I’m not. I’m bashing DCA for being the shoebox accounting circuit they remain.

as for anything I’ve said about Flo I won’t take back and hell it’s still buffering anyway 

Edited by Jeff Ream

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Let me clarify something on Box5. The coffee pot wasn’t their fault. I’ve mocked it but the blame needs to go to DCA.

why do I say that? Well when you run your world championships in a venue that is logistics nightmare galore and have band boosters involved that don’t understand the logistics, coffee pot issues happen. So for those that think I’m bashing Box5, no I’m not. I’m bashing DCA for being the shoebox accounting circuit they remain.

as for anything I’ve said about Flo I won’t take back and hell it’s still buffering anyway 

Yeah I forget, someone plugged or unplugged a coffee pot and it tripped a circuit breaker or something? First time I saw that I thought it was a bad joke.... then found out it wasn’t a joke.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah I forget, someone plugged or unplugged a coffee pot and it tripped a circuit breaker or something? First time I saw that I thought it was a bad joke.... then found out it wasn’t a joke.

yeah, i dont remember all of the specifics, i just remember hearing in the stands at prelims the feed went black. as the day went on coffee pot details came out. but when you run your world championships in the at best 50th best high school stadium in PA, stupid #### happens. still waiting for the refund for the "premium" parking ticket i paid for in prelims when i was told there was no room in the premium section and parked way out in a field and forced to walk that big ### hill. sure the drive to Williamsport is perfect for a day trip, but if they want the circuit to thrive and grow, thats not the venue to do it in. you get what you don't pay for

my only real gripe with Box5 was at Scranton in 19, since i am Mr. punctual i ordered tickets the day they went on sale and had top row 50 yard line seats, and their camera was right behind me, which meant any time i stood up i apparently was in their cameras way. so move your camera a few feet higher...there was other ways to do it. demanding a spectator not stand up all show is kinda rude. at my size sitting on my ### and never moving for 8 corps is a huge ### pain, and it's not my fault...i paid for the best seat in the house. other than that, no issue with Box 5.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 8:01 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Looking at FloMarching site and DCI schedule for them is basically two weeks (7/30-8/13). Also see a line saying they will have an archive that users can access.
Has Flo ever have the actual shows in their archives or is this just the “behind the scenes” clips? 
Joined Flo for a year once and debating if it will be worth it just for 2 weeks of DC.

Add on question: how the bleep much does it cost? Looking through their site and that’s not stated. I have to start setting up an account before they tell me?????

If you watch BOA in the fall, I think it is worth it. Or I guess you could buy it for a couple of months.  For some reason, I find the quality (feed, visuall), of their BOA to be better on FLO than DCI.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

If you watch BOA in the fall, I think it is worth it. Or I guess you could buy it for a couple of months.  For some reason, I find the quality (feed, visuall), of their BOA to be better on FLO than DCI.  

fewer people watching

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

FYI if anyone is tracking this tread for news.

It looks like FloMarching is the broadcast for Carolina Crown's Project 21 from July 10-11 as well. Otherwise their offerings start with a July 30 show in LaCrosse.

Also, google took me to Lone Star Percussion when looking up something drumstick related and my brain instantly started that "dutadut da dutadut" riff from the commercial...