What is the Optimum Listening Volume to Replicate a Live Performance?

9 hours ago, FTNK said:

Drum corps people value volume over actual musicianship

incorrect. i prefer in tune volume. its actually louder

• Like 6

8 hours ago, FTNK said:

I marched 1953 Madison Scouts

Explains a lot of your griping about drum corps over the last few months. 
s/ guy who marched 1974-1979, 1984-1985

A few years ago, I was able to sit with the Blue Devils alumni in the "Blast Zone" in Indy.  For those of you that don't know what that means, it is right on the 50 and down low at field level. It lived up to the name and I believe my ears were still ringing while I drove back to Virginia the next day.  I did enjoy it

This past year, I was back in the Cavaliers suite and it almost felt quiet in comparison.

I prefer standing in front of the arch rather than the pit speakers. I love that strong sound of 60-70 "In-Tune" brass playing in my face.

A video of a kid watching Regiment live made it's rounds this summer.  The wind was blowing his hair back. That is the effect I want when I listen to Drum Corps. Blow my face off with clean, live sound.

Drum Corps Dinosaurs can relate: Higher, Louder, Faster!

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks, worst IMO is a vertigo attack which nailed me twice. Second time was at work so got to see how fast an ambulance can access a military base (pretty fast). Fortunately after that attack I started seeing a new doctor who is young, up on things and connected to the teaching hospital. SHE prescribed med to stop the nausea if I think I feel an attack coming. Either working or haven’t had a real attack since.

Otherwise just that #### feeling like my ear is clogged up. That’s why the idiot first ENT doc thought allergies.

As for genetic hearing loss had a minister with 9 (yeah 9) kids. Youngest 3 boys all lost hearing starting at puberty. Rest of kids no problems 🤷🏻

I wish you the best of luck on this one.  I have heard it can be a challenge.

I can relate though on a different level.  Those of you that were in The Commandants Own back in the 70s and 80s know about the horn room rehearsal area.  We spent countless hours in there.  It was a 40' x 80' room.  Put 50-60 horns in there and it was brutal.  Bring the percussion in for an ensemble rehearsal and it was deafening. 

My wife is convinced that is what led to me hearing loss in my right ear.  However, it does give me a great excuse when I'm driving, and I can't hear her to my right.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I wish you the best of luck on this one.  I have heard it can be a challenge.

I can relate though on a different level.  Those of you that were in The Commandants Own back in the 70s and 80s know about the horn room rehearsal area.  We spent countless hours in there.  It was a 40' x 80' room.  Put 50-60 horns in there and it was brutal.  Bring the percussion in for an ensemble rehearsal and it was deafening. 

My wife is convinced that is what led to me hearing loss in my right ear.  However, it does give me a great excuse when I'm driving, and I can't hear her to my right.

Laugh icon was for that last paragraph. My dad had horrible hearing in the right ear due to being auto mechanic and lot of pounding on metal. Once in a while I’d say something and get no response. Then my sister would mouth “wrong ear” and I go to his other side. 🤭

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Laugh icon was for that last paragraph. My dad had horrible hearing in the right ear due to being auto mechanic and lot of pounding on metal. Once in a while I’d say something and get no response. Then my sister would mouth “wrong ear” and I go to his other side. 🤭

Ditto back at you for the laugh. We're all good.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

I like waffles.