The Academy 2022

2 hours ago, Sideways said:

Point being that any dietary “restrictions” that are not medically necessitated are a choice and nothing else…not sure how stating that is ignorant and tone deaf.

Who cares if it's by choice? What are you arguing here?

Let's say one week I had chicken paddies (my fave). The next week, they make me sick and I'm out for a block. It's then my choice to avoid chicken paddies the next time they're on the menu. That's a choice too. Should I not eat or be given a pb&j?

Whatever you think should happen doesn't matter. Corps should have protocols for this that end with each member being fed with food that's (1) not against their beliefs and (2) not making them sick. Simple.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 2

how is this even an argument lol

• Like 1

Research says our lifespans will continue to increase generation after generation.  People are eating smarter and taking care of themselves based on what we continue to learn about nutrition and our bodies.  Past generations may have something to say to like toughen up or this is how we did it.  Good enough for me so it should be good enough for you.  Corps and their management need to grow as well in regards to providing nourishing and nutritional meals that take into account an individual's specific dietary needs.  If you cannot provide that with the excuse being expenses, then you really shouldn't be in the game.  We all know a rested and properly fed corps will thrive under these circumstances.  I'm glad more individuals are speaking up and making those changes today.  

• Like 3

Just wanted to add the *"Fact", that as long I experienced, volunteered/toured with the Academy in the Modern era since being elevated to World Class, and up to my last tour in 2016, the MM were fed three full meals and a plentiful post corps performance snack per day.

* There are ALWAYS exceptions: late food delivery services. Equipment and Refrigeration challenges, the rare food crew shortages.   However, as I can recall,  the Corps Excellent Volunteer kitchen/food prep teams have always devoted their attention and services for the Well Being and sustenance needs of its MM.

Also know its Food crew always ate last, and on rare occassion even did without. 

I do hope and pray that a good deal bantered about in this DCP thread is out of line with the truth of the Corps Reality. If not 😥 I wish them all Godspeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

how is this even an argument lol

Some people get unreasonably offended  and defensive when other people choose to not eat meat

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRelic said:

Just wanted to add the *"Fact", that as long I experienced, volunteered/toured with the Academy in the Modern era since being elevated to World Class, and up to my last tour in 2016, the MM were fed three full meals and a plentiful post corps performance snack per day.

* There are ALWAYS exceptions: late food delivery services. Equipment and Refrigeration challenges, the rare food crew shortages.   However, as I can recall,  the Corps Excellent Volunteer kitchen/food prep teams have always devoted their attention and services for the Well Being and sustenance needs of its MM.

Also know its Food crew always ate last, and on rare occassion even did without. 

I do hope and pray that a good deal bantered about in this DCP thread is out of line with the truth of the Corps Reality. If not 😥 I wish them all Godspeed.

I bet most of us have your back here. I know the Amana crew always ate last and worked their butts off. I spent most of my 08 tour as an assistant tour manager supporting Amanda. Nothing but cook crew love in this thread!

My heart is also with Legacy in all regards. I know what it feels like to be let down as a MM by instruction and admin staffs and it can really mess with someone. I also wish them all a safe rest of the season and peace moving forward.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Seeing a barrage of students on Twitter asking for donations for food. Corps told students they are not allowed to order doordash. Not allowed to go get food.  

so where’s the board doing their job to fix this?  Operations and funding is the boards job. It’s the directors job. 

this is a story I heard many times over from other corps while I marched over a decade ago.  If they aren’t feeding members then shut it down and send them home. If they haven’t planned for 2.5 servings at all meals for each member they’ve really screwed up.  It stinks but safety over anything else 

C.Holland, I cannot speak for the "Immediate Situation". However, In all my years of Volunteering and touring with THE ACADEMY, since at least beginning of their entry into World Class in 2007, they were provided 3 full meals, and a very substantial Late Night Snack in all cases PB&J  being an available able option, following rehearsal at 10:00 PM, or immediately following the conclusion of any scheduled show performance.

At the present time, I am not aware, nor heard from afar, from any "reliable sources"  that the their typical 4-meals per day, for whatever reason, has changed.

Sorry and sad, your final scoring opportunity this evening in Erie, PA was washed out.  However DO Enjoy the extra rest and down time as you head to Indy. As always, Godspeed ACADEMY. I'll be with you this weekend, just let the Audience Eat Up the Confectious Creation Creation of My/Your Imagination.

Yes, the problems with the refrigerated food storage are causing logistical nightmares for the corps. 

As far as dietary needs, the corps has long been providing appropriate options at every meal for those who need it. They ask every MM and (staff) well before the season starts so they can plan for it.  My family has been on the road with them in one form or another for 13 years now so I know its being done. 

This is a very, very young corps and I will leave it at that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, desertrat68 said:

Yes, the problems with the refrigerated food storage are causing logistical nightmares for the corps. 

As far as dietary needs, the corps has long been providing appropriate options at every meal for those who need it. They ask every MM and (staff) well before the season starts so they can plan for it.  My family has been on the road with them in one form or another for 13 years now so I know its being done. 

This is a very, very young corps and I will leave it at that.

Thank you for the update and finding that time to volunteer.  You all are the backbone that keeps the corps moving along.  

Question, I thought your food truck was new this year?  Did new units come with it?