Sunday, July 10th - “DCI West” … Stanford Stadium – Stanford University – Palo Alto, California

BD plays the prop game better than anyone. You barley notice them being pushed around by the members. Every other group it becomes a a major distraction watching the members look like they are struggling to love the prop, or there so low to the ground all you see is member hunched over pushing them around (phantom). 

• Like 6

Wow. Brass sounded great tonight. Great run BD. Some silly errors in the guard but they were just that — silly, not a big deal. They’ve added more and more work (just noticed the new saber work during the dance section after the ballad!) 

I like the ballad and I can also feel them taking their time to really massage it into something stellar over the course of the season — it changes every time they compete. They’re being very organic about it and I love that. Why not feel it out, when you have such incredible talent and they’re very clearly game to explore with the designers.

I dunno! I love spreading the love, I love a year where it feels like someone’s really breathing down BD’s neck, but with the way this show is progressing … I just … I don’t want them to win just because BD is my favorite corps. They simply make it hard to bet against them!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

When was the last time the DCI champion won ALL captions?  This show could be the next.

Brass imo is gonna be the toughest to get for them. I’m not gonna rule them out on doing so, but I don’t think it happens for them this year, in contention though definitely

• Like 1

Just now, crumdorpslove said:

BD plays the prop game better than anyone. You barley notice them being pushed around by the members. 

This, this, this. Such a good point and an aspect of this that is severely underrated. And when you do notice them pushing the props, the MMs are still being told to make it a part of the performance. Do it in character. Don’t just push a prop: make it part of the show. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

This, this, this. Such a good point and an aspect of this that is severely underrated. And when you do notice them pushing the props, the MMs are still being told to make it a part of the performance. Do it in character. Don’t just push a prop: make it part of the show. 

Felliniesque is where they perfected that

• Like 4

Speaking of "Moon River" (and having met Mr. Mancini and forgetting to ask him) what exactly IS a "huckleberry friend" .... I grew up on huckleberry cobbler but never a huckleberry friend ....

8 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

BD always feels very same ol’ same ol’ to me. I do like this show. And I appreciate the clarity of design, especially alongside SCV’s loose, more free form design. Maybe  someone can explain to me how Moonriver fits into this show (I LOVE Moonriver, it is a very personal and sentimental song in my life), because it feels like a Lawrence Welk moment to me. Who is this song appealing to? I REALLY appreciate the stellar performances by the members, but I’m not yet swept up. Lots of season left, tho. 

if you go to BD’s channel on YT scott chandler has a video up explaining all their inspirations for the show. I think Moon River is the Novalis/“Blue Flower”/being in love part of the show. I don’t think you *need* the explanation to vibe with the show but in case anyone’s curious!  

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3

Up until tonight BD was looking like a real mess to me.  I think I was a bit too low to fully appreciate their show in Sac, and what I had seen before on FLO looked so messy to me.  Tonights show couldn't have been more different.  Watching high cam here on FLO BD finally looked the way I expect BD to look.  So much cleaner both visually and musically.  The show really sold to me tonight.  By far the best tonight and yeah I can finally see how people can see this show might go undefeated.  Looks really good now and from what I can see it's the hardest show any corps has on the field this year.  Anyone that says BD doesn't move enough is blind.  There's a ton of demand out there this year.  And this is the best BD horn line in years.  Crown may be getting a run for their money this year.  BD, you sold me now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1