What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Lose the front-sideline mics "enhancing" a horn line's volume. 

You have 60-80 horns out there. The players are talented and well-trained. They can be really loud without overblowing or going out of tune. 

Agreed. This is another one I can speak on from my marching band experience. There are some instruments that do need mics (the pit, some horn soloists) but there is absolutely no need for EVERYONE to be mic'd.

• Thanks 3

On 7/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, Brass of the South said:

Woodwinds might be good in your 25 person high school band that just barely eeks out Pure Imagination, but a drum corps blasting Mahler 2, they have no place. Get lost.

You’re very wise. Woodwinds obviously have no place in a Mahler symphony.

58 minutes ago, Red3 said:

Hot take - drum corps and really high-level competitive marching bands are essentially the same thing.

Yes, I am one of those people that calls a corps a band, but when you get right down to it, aren't they just the same thing? It's also kind of a habitual thing from being in a school band, and when people ask what my favorite band is (usually assuming like a rock band or something) I usually say Bluecoats😛 What a nerd I am lol

13 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Yes, I am one of those people that calls a corps a band, but when you get right down to it, aren't they just the same thing? It's also kind of a habitual thing from being in a school band, and when people ask what my favorite band is (usually assuming like a rock band or something) I usually say Bluecoats😛 What a nerd I am lol

They are a lot closer to the same thing now, but 50 years ago a DCI drum corps and a marching bound sounded nothing alike, because they used entirely different instruments. This was by design; it took a series of rules changes, proposed by DCI corps directors and put to a vote, implemented in 1977, 1990, 2000, and 2014 to make the instrumentation between the two more similar with each iteration. Try listening to recordings of a top marching band and top drum corps from the years 1976, 1989, 1999, 2013, and today (with trombones) and you'll see what I mean. By this point, after that fourth rule change, there is no difference between the brass instrumentation of a marching band and a drum corps, so it makes sense why you would use the terms interchangeably. 

Edited by Hrothgar15

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

In all honesty it annoys me when there are people around me loudly cheering while I’m trying to appreciate a show. Might be a generational thing. So many people have ruined/made themselves a part of the finals recordings for a lot of performances in the 80s and 90s and I’m happy it’s not as prevalent nowadays. It’s more courteous

I get it.  Golf clap crowd is in control now......

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

In all honesty it annoys me when there are people around me loudly cheering while I’m trying to appreciate a show. Might be a generational thing. So many people have ruined/made themselves a part of the finals recordings for a lot of performances in the 80s and 90s and I’m happy it’s not as prevalent nowadays. It’s more courteous

You probably wouldn't enjoy WGI - the screaming after every toss is even worse. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Agreed. This is another one I can speak on from my marching band experience. There are some instruments that do need mics (the pit, some horn soloists) but there is absolutely no need for EVERYONE to be mic'd.

Yep... I have no problem with the soloists using mics, especially when there's an effect involved (reverb, whatever). But entire horn lines or sections?

To date, the best DCI horn line I've ever heard is 2013 Crown, in the pre-mic days. They #### near knocked me into next week with their big, full, balanced, in-tune sound. No "enhancement" needed. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 4