What are your controversial marching arts opinions?

6 hours ago, JohnDF said:

I think when a show wins the audience, it should be reflected somewhere in the scores.

Yes! I've always thought a "crowd" caption would be fun. It shouldn't be a super big part of scoring, but it would be cool to score some extra points for it

I think when a show wins the audience, it should be reflected somewhere in the scores.

That would very much destroy the diversity of shows we see today and lead to an arms race of gimmicks to impress and engage the crowd

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That would very much destroy the diversity of shows we see today and lead to an arms race of gimmicks to impress and engage the crowd

I said this in my original post, but I'm a gimmick fangirl and I'm totally cool with that. I love to see new stuff in drum corps that no one else has done yet.

1 minute ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I said this in my original post, but I'm a gimmick fangirl and I'm totally cool with that. I love to see new stuff in drum corps that no one else has done yet.

You'll love it when the Troopers bring out their live, wild horses right there on the field. I wouldn't want to be the corps that goes on after them, though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Do you honestly think there’s diversity on the field today? The first minute of practically every show is the same.

• Thanks 2

I think that theoretically, the sheets are designed to reward the types of things that move the audience.  The scores should never reflect an actual audience reaction because that would be based on other things (location, etc.) not fair to  all corps to include as a factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Do you honestly think there’s diversity on the field today? The first minute of practically every show is the same.

I truly do. Do you think Blue Knights and Cadets’ shows are anything alike? What about BD and Phantom? 

Just because slow openers are the current trendy thing does not mean all shows are the same style. I think we have a fairly diverse selection right now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

All fun and games until certain corps can no longer compete due to lack of finances. Even the current props and electronics arms race is extremely dangerous to the vitality of the activity. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm ok with slow, soft openings in general, but ya gotta hit me with something hard and loud in a reasonable time to grab me and hold me. 

• Like 1