A Commentary on Narration

4 minutes ago, frachel said:

Not sure that transcriptions helps your point - at least for the trumpets, there's not a lot of playing compared to the length of the show. I check out all the transcriptions I can find every year (mainly to see if I can still play some of the stuff they play now, and thankfully I usually can still 🙂) and there's a LOT of tacet/resting and quite a few long (5+ bar) holds.

I'm not one of those people that want things to go back to a particular era, but I wouldn't be against it when it came to the brass playing time. In some those late 80's - 2000's shows the horn barely goes down.. probably 50% more playing, minimum.

Blue Devils drove that - NOT narration, and yes, there's a lot of content in their show

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Blue Devils drove that - NOT narration, and yes, there's a lot of content in their show

I agree on both points. I wasn't using it as a comment on narration - just to show that I agree with the poster that said the Bluecoats don't have much brass content (but neither do most of the corps nowadays though, so it's not any worse with them than anyone else).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

playing time is different than "content" JMO, but sure they can relate, but in the case of the Phantom Regiment fan implying the narration leaves Bluecoats without enough content - uh, no.

would you say this is

your commentary on commentary?

*cane takes me off stage before people can throw tomatoes*

24 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

No it's the ridiculously repetitive moaning and complaining and those who, like you, use to to not-so-subtly insult those corps as-if they're not doing PLENTY - most of it lately seems directed at Bluecoats implying they don't have enough brass content which is, frankly laughable.

I've seen very little negativity directed at the Cadets - except from the usual gang of haters. I not "a fan" of narration in general, however I just focus on some other aspect. Cadets are having a nice season - which is great for them & us.

No negativity towards the Cadets from me, they get all sorts of leeway considering their circumstances and I'm just glad they are afloat and still thriving. 

I have done "my homework" and disagree that Bluecoats' content is at the same level of the likes of Crown, BD, and SCV and fit closer (but still above) Cavies and Boston. I'm no judge, so my opinion is meaningless, but I will continue to express it nonetheless. It is a criticism of the design rather than the talented members. The Bluecoats have an outstanding, championship-level, and proven design team. In the words of the Cadets, they can "do better"

And hey, if the Bluecoats do end up coming away with the title or even 1st/2nd place in brass content, I will come back and eat my crow

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Actually it isn't. You are equal parts objective criticisms and compliments. Most of the people I'm talking about posted mostly on a different thread. 

Thanks for clearing that up!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

playing time is different than "content" 

If by “content” you mean “dancing,” then yes, Bluecoats have plenty. 

14 minutes ago, CFC1905 said:

If by “content” you mean “dancing,” then yes, Bluecoats have plenty. 

and there you go - demeaning the Bluecoats & proving MY POINT - it is really just an excuse to bash some corps that isn't "yours"

• Like 2