12 PLACE--COLTS OR BLUE KNIGHTS?

11 minutes ago, DCFAN said:

Crossmen will not fall to 14TH!  I see them in either 11th or 12th.

I don't know.  Their show in Memphis started on movement 2 (or what ever the hell it was) & the entire show just seemed disjointed.  They're great but their design is really boring. 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 hour ago, TexasPRfan said:

Wholeheartedly agree that  Troopers are fantastic.  One of my favorite shows too.  I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but after seeing the Ogden & DATR shows live, Troopers to me had the most entertaining, dark, powerful, goose-bump inducing show there, with Mandarins just behind for me (Based on entertainment - not difficulty or technical achievement.  Troopers have a ton to clean, and some things to tweak in the show to make it even better.  It's definitely their best show since Wild Horses.  As to the last two spots, hard to say without seeing the others live yet (solved this week in Texas).  

First, why are people assuming Crossmen are in or locked even at 11th?  There scores don't support that (the scores matter little until everyone is lined up)

Here's my current guess(which I will revise after seeing the Texas shows):

11.  Blue Knights.  I just can't process them finishing lower.  Still good drill, and talent.  Not sure why percussion is suddenly such a weakness.  Not a big fan of the guard. BK has too much experience and talent to miss top 12, me thinks.  Easily their worst design in at least a decade though...

12.  Colts.  This is such a crap shoot.  The do have multiple captions where achievement is already outpacing content - not a great sign. Would be a great achievement though.

13.  Troopers.  Live, this show is freakin electric.  Actually love the cello, to my shock.  Fresh, modern, yet vintage Troopers.  Great concept.  Still a TON of upside from cleaning, and polish.  They got a late start.  Scores are improving rapidly.  Is it enough, I'm not sure.  But a real dark horse and they will be a BIG crowd favorite.  I did notice this sitting lower in Ogden and higher at DATR - For now, the energy and electricity that is so palpable lower isn't fully reaching (though it's still great) the higher stands.  That will get better me thinks.  I can see troop as high as 12th or as low as 14th.  At the same time, I wouldn't be stunned if they caught BK.  Far more upside from cleaning and polish to the show, and they are already close in GE.  I don't understand why they are so far behind in Brass & Music Analysis (Brass guy here).  I remember how momentum that built behind Academy with Drum Corpse Bride.  This show has the potential to have the crowd behind them in the same way and enthusiasm breeds confidence.  When's the last time Troopers got noticeably more crowd response than BK?  It's been a long time.  And a Troopers showing at Finals in DCI's 50th anniversary.  Momentum, Crowd adoration, and some sentimentality?  I wouldn't rule out Troopers, folks.  And one of the few shows where a key prop FITS and ADDS to the story vs checking the current judging criteria "box" while adding little to nothing to the show. (I'm looking at you, BD, SCV, Phantom & others...)

14.  Crossmen.  I'll get a better read on this after seeing them live, of course.  For now, what I'm reading, and seeing in scores makes them seem incredibly vulnerable - and there's been no same show evaluation with BK & Troopers yet.

In some, I think it's a four horse race for 2 spots.  It's hard to see BK falling out, but it's possible.  Assuming they are in, what fun & suspense will be in the air as the other 3 battle it out for the next few weeks!

Harvey

My humble opinion… Music City is coming up and improving very well too! Keep an eye on them!

• Like 1

I thought things looked rough for Blue Knights in 2021 so I am not shocked this summer has had its challenges. I also think Colts seem to have steam. I’m not sure I’d count BK out. Though “Avian” and 2012 is a bit far back, as late as Allentown people wrote them off. Since then show has been unfinished prior to San Antonio and come Atlanta, they find themselves where they should be. Right now I could see Colts in finals with BK and Crossmen battling for a spot. 

My two cents

I am a big Blue Knight fan and alumni, but I fear their percussion and guard may hold them back in 13th place.  At first, I did not really like their musical direction this year after the very first show on Flo but the show has grown on me with each viewing.  If they can keep adding content and cleaning up those two sections they may hold on to a finalist spot but it will be a challenge.

as for Corpsmen I have seen their show a few time and while all sections seem strong I can't help but feel this is more of a BOA (Reagan type show)

I have seen Colts only once and love the look but musically I will need a few more listens to see if it can capture my attention better.

Madison, Troopers and Music City seem to all be Hungary and have something to prove but may not have enough to carry them into that next tier but you never know.

Edited by Craig519
  • Like 1

My brain says Blue Knights, but my heart says The Colts!

I'm going with Colts.  Blue Knights tend to drop or fall out when they try to do non thought provoking shows.  They do intellectual shows so well.  It kind of misses the mark when they go more crowd oriented if I'm making sense.  Having problems putting my thoughts to words.  I am a colts and BK fan so no offence was meant at all.

Edited by bandman28

I really like the Colts show; however, they have a pretty small guard and it doesn't seem to be as strong as previous years.  The corps mostly stays between the 35 yard lines which may hurt their scores.  Troopers seem to keep on improving and could grab that 12th spot.  Even though they are pretty good, I don't care for Crossmen's show this year.  I blame the designers for this.  Academy isn't improving that much from the beginning of the season.  I see some potential in this show, but I don't think enough necessary changes and cleaning can take place prior to Indy to jump them up to 12th.

• Like 1