MY MESSAGE & PLEA TO FLOMARCHING

On 7/20/2022 at 8:34 AM, keystone3ply said:

2) Set the 'High Cam' & leave it alone.  Simply have the operator monitor.  (10 yd line to 10 yd line is fine.  See Blair Witch Project.) 

3) As to the Multicam, why do I have to watch a brass ensemble setting up on side 1 while there's a snare feature just to the right on side 2?  Also, why am I watching color guard members moving equipment on the front sideline while there is awesome drill being performed right dead center between the 40 yd lines?  

4) Why is your audio balance inconsistent from show to show as to the field brass/percussion vs the front ensemble/soloist, etc?  In this case, it's not venue.

I actually prefer the Multicam, but it's just unwatchable sometimes.  I will try to email these comments but I doubt they read them.  I put the comments in red (like Jesus in the New Testament) so maybe they'll read them on DCP.  I hate Facebook (cesspool) but I may post on their wall.  I think they have their messenger disengaged.

Thank you for your time & consideration.  

Having worked on the DCI broadcast for several years as a producer, I get your frustration. However, what I can tell you is this - getting those shots right and knowing when they will hit is incredibly difficult, especially for novice producers and directors. What you probably don't know about the DCI broadcasts are the enormous amounts of man-hours that go into preparing for that show. By the end of the season, Tom Blair has a notebook full of notes on each corps, has talked to all of the design teams, and had shot lists created to direct broadcast with a full team of network-level professionals. The Flo broadcasts generally have a couple of camera operators and one person switches the cameras. That's it. So before we beat down on Flo, let's take a moment and consider the fact that we're even getting the shows on TV and be thankful, because Im sure if this all went away y'all would be crying about how great it was while you had it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Hmm.

I wonder if this will threaten Flo's existence in any real way.   I don't see DCI looking to bail on Flo unless Flo goes kaput to be honest. DCI doesn't seem to have the will to leave Flo.

Box 5 would be a logical choice for a next streaming company given their expertise with the field and connections.

Although MLS ended up leaving Flo and now has a deal with Apple on the Apple+ platform. Given Apple's hands all over the eduction market with university and k-12 deals and their reach into sound/music production software that might be an avenue too.  Particularly if DCI were savvy enough to broker some win/win with Apple to "fund the arts education through support for DCI."  But that presumes DCI is at all savvy in that way.  

There is not a big enough audience nor enough revenue to be made for Apple to want to touch this. These shows cost money to produce. These are not money-making ventures for a typical media company.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Several someones

It is a class action suit, so yes. I don’t think anyone will get too much out of any settlement (except maybe lawyers) but it could easily put Flo into bankruptcy.   

Suit was filed last November.   No idea how fast this will move through courts.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Looks like someone isn’t happy with Flo, esp their billing practices 

They shouldn’t be. It’s criminal to make unauthorized charges on people’s accounts.  I have alerts on my visa so I would know immediately.  It didn’t happen to me but it did to many others. Terrible business practice. 

50 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is a class action suit, so yes. I don’t think anyone will get too much out of any settlement (except maybe lawyers) but it could easily put Flo into bankruptcy.   

Suit was filed last November.   No idea how fast this will move through courts.  

I got $397 from facebook in a class action suit filed in Illinois. I tried to get Jim to sign up for it but he didn’t and I was flashing that check around like nobody’s business. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They shouldn’t be. It’s criminal to make unauthorized charges on people’s accounts.  I have alerts on my visa so I would know immediately.  It didn’t happen to me but it did to many others. Terrible business practice. 

I think one of 3 things will happen:

1.  In the fine print, that most of us don't read, but click 'accept terms' there is verbiage that says Flo can do this (although I would think that the plaintiff's counsel would have seen this & put the kibosh on the suit right there), or

2.  Flo loses & has to refund $$.  Not much to each subscriber covered by the Class, but in aggregate enough to put them out of business (probably middle of June, just for maximum inconvenience to Drum Corps fans), or

3.  Something else happens.

I'm pretty confident that this covers all possibilities.

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I got $397 from facebook in a class action suit filed in Illinois. I tried to get Jim to sign up for it but he didn’t and I was flashing that check around like nobody’s business. 😂 

I doubt any Flo settlement won't amount to much $$ for any one individual.  Except the lawyers.

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I doubt any Flo settlement won't amount to much $$ for any one individual.  Except the lawyers.

Yeah I’m sure. But I’d still sign up even if I got a quarter.

You have to wonder how DCI manages to associate themselves with people who’d do stuff like this.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yeah I’m sure. But I’d still sign up even if I got a quarter.

You have to wonder how DCI manages to associate themselves with people who’d do stuff like this.

Agree that it makes you wonder.  I suspect that Flo’s sales department that pitches their services (to DCI, WGI, wrestling, etc) is very good.  But the service rendered is less so.  Flo is by no means the only company where this happens.  
Two questions concerning Flo:

1. How much $ (if any) does DCI get from Flo streaming their product?

2.  Does DCI have a Plan B (Box 5, etc) for streaming if Flo goes kaput?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree that it makes you wonder.  I suspect that Flo’s sales department that pitches their services (to DCI, WGI, wrestling, etc) is very good.  But the service rendered is less so.  Flo is by no means the only company where this happens.  
Two questions concerning Flo:

1. How much $ (if any) does DCI get from Flo streaming their product?

2.  Does DCI have a Plan B (Box 5, etc) for streaming if Flo goes kaput?

Box 5 should pick up the ball and run. And least we know Tim won’t pillage our credit cards. 

• Like 2