MY MESSAGE & PLEA TO FLOMARCHING

Haven't subscribed in several years due to their consistent issues.  I renewed for 30 days.  I wouldn't mind continuing if:

1) Raise the overall audio level to match your commercial level.  I simply do not have enough audio to raise it to an acceptable level for streaming. (And I'm using Dr Dre Studio headphones with outstanding bass response.)  I know I would have enough for my home theater sound system.    

2) Set the 'High Cam' & leave it alone.  Simply have the operator monitor.  (10 yd line to 10 yd line is fine.  See Blair Witch Project.) 

3) As to the Multicam, why do I have to watch a brass ensemble setting up on side 1 while there's a snare feature just to the right on side 2?  Also, why am I watching color guard members moving equipment on the front sideline while there is awesome drill being performed right dead center between the 40 yd lines?  

4) Why is your audio balance inconsistent from show to show as to the field brass/percussion vs the front ensemble/soloist, etc?  In this case, it's not venue.

I actually prefer the Multicam, but it's just unwatchable sometimes.  I will try to email these comments but I doubt they read them.  I put the comments in red (like Jesus in the New Testament) so maybe they'll read them on DCP.  I hate Facebook (cesspool) but I may post on their wall.  I think they have their messenger disengaged.

Thank you for your time & consideration.  

• Like 2

While I hate their streaming issues. I'm guessing whoever directs the multicam is not familiar with the shows and doesn't know where to direct the cameras. Maybe its a local guy contracted to do it in each location but it is clearly someone who doesn't have good notes on where and when to look at certain sections halfway through the season.

• Like 1

I think we have to understand a couple of things about Flo. First: They probably hire college interns to travel around and video the shows. These interns probably know nothing about drum corps. Thus, for example, last night in Broken Arrow, they missed most of the drum corps salutes, which I like seeing, and missed many of the best drill moves and solos as well.  I don't think this issue can be resolved, since the interns probably do one summer-- to be replaced the following summer.  Secondly, the audio issue (lack of decent volume, especially with the multi-cam), should be  an easy fix. Why Flo hasn't fixed the volume issue is a mystery.  Lastly, the quality of audio and video is going to vary from show to show, simply because all stadiums have differing acoustic variables.       I personally enjoy the fact that we have the Flo option, and can watch many shows over the summer. Do I expect the quality of the experience to come close to actually being there? Of course not. I'm grateful to have this streaming option available--something we never had in the past.   

Edited by Phantom56
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have made it a point to email them each week and give them pointers for some of the glaring mistakes they make, mostly with BD, but other shows as well.  They always respond, and seem appreciative of the help.  Latest example, i told them the title card they were showing for BD was for the C corps. I told them that Monday.  After 2-3 weeks of this being wrong, it was fixed for last night.  I also keep reminding them about the trumpet soloist at the start of Moon River.  They always show the trombone guy when he isn’t even playing.  Igave them est time into the show, to help them find it on old videos.  Last night, finally, even tho they started with the trombone guy, they actually caught part of the trumpeter WHILE he was still playing!  

so maybe you should send your comments via email, instead of posting them here?  Just a suggestion.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Haven't subscribed in several years due to their consistent issues.  I renewed for 30 days.  I wouldn't mind continuing if:

1) Raise the overall audio level to match your commercial level.  I simply do not have enough audio to raise it to an acceptable level for streaming. (And I'm using Dr Dre Studio headphones with outstanding bass response.)  I know I would have enough for my home theater sound system.    

2) Set the 'High Cam' & leave it alone.  Simply have the operator monitor.  (10 yd line to 10 yd line is fine.  See Blair Witch Project.) 

3) As to the Multicam, why do I have to watch a brass ensemble setting up on side 1 while there's a snare feature just to the right on side 2?  Also, why am I watching color guard members moving equipment on the front sideline while there is awesome drill being performed right dead center between the 40 yd lines?  

4) Why is your audio balance inconsistent from show to show as to the field brass/percussion vs the front ensemble/soloist, etc?  In this case, it's not venue.

I actually prefer the Multicam, but it's just unwatchable sometimes.  I will try to email these comments but I doubt they read them.  I put the comments in red (like Jesus in the New Testament) so maybe they'll read them on DCP.  I hate Facebook (cesspool) but I may post on their wall.  I think they have their messenger disengaged.

Thank you for your time & consideration.  

Adding my own reactions:

1.  Doubt they can raise the music level that far without distorting (and I have heard them do that at several events).  They need to lower the commercial level, tremendously.

2.  That would work most of the time.

3.  That is what you get when you try to webcast 40 shows... unfamiliar crews reacting too late instead of experienced crews with notes from prior viewings.

4.  That is what you get when you try to webcast 40 shows... inexperienced crews setting levels with their eyes instead of their ears.  Feeds from the announcer and corps amplification are set too high.  The lights on the mixing board look pretty, but solo channels should not match full-ensemble channels.

I hope the red text works.

• Like 1

bigger shows usually get the best crews. also as shows constantly change, usually until finals week, things get missed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

I think we have to understand a couple of things about Flo. Firstly: They probably hire college interns to travel around and video the shows. These interns obviously know nothing about drum corps. Thus, for example, last night in Broken Arrow, they missed most of the drum corps salutes, which I like seeing, and missed many of the best drill moves and solos as well.  I don't think this issue can be resolved, since the interns probably do one summer-- to be replaced the following summer.  Secondly, the audio issue (lack of decent volume, especially with the multi-cam), should be  an easy fix. Why Flo hasn't fixed the volume issue is a mystery.  Lastly, the quality of audio and video is going to vary from show to show, simply because all stadiums have differing acoustic variables.       I personally enjoy the fact that we have the Flo option, and can watch many shows over the summer. Do I expect the quality of the experience to come close to actually being there? Of course not. I'm grateful to have this streaming option available--something we never had in the past.   

I have found it better to stick to the high cam in these smaller stadiums/smaller shows. Wait to do multicam for the big venues where there will likely be some degree of better direction of camera shots. Now, last night high cam was the high seas, with constant motion and tilting fromm side to side, but it eventually did calm down. I sent them a comment about it early on and I would guess others did as well.

Frustrations aside, it's a lot better than the only option being waiting a week for you paper copy of Drum Corps World to see what happened at a show!

• Like 4

The issue I have with FLo is that they made this statement about their commitment to improving their product

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/7781608-production-enhancements-coming-for-the-2022-dci-season

AUDIO

And So many times, The Audio coming out on FLO is nothing compared to being at the Show Live. And it all because of the simple reason that the sound reaching the fans and the Judges in the stands is what the Corps Design their soundscapes around. For Example Boston has 6 Speakers across the FS. Flo only has 2 Speaker Mics. So Many times They are pumping Trombone sounds through speakers other than the main two speakers closest to the 50. The Baritone Soloist was many times not being pipped through the 2 center speakers and that led to Level issues.

I recently watched YT Vid of someone in the Stands Recording on an Iphone and The Audio Quality on that Iphone was lightyears better than 4 $600 Mics right up on the field.

I truly do not understand the logic behind not just Simply setting up two or Three Boom mics by the Press Box for every show and dont run any other audio source but that. Hearing the Audience is part of the show.

$600 Mics should be able to pic up anything that an Iphone Mic can pick up. And Truly if the Sound is not reaching the press Box, It is really meant to be heard at all?

MULTICAM 

Flo made mention that they would get storyboard from the corps to help with the "direction" of the Multicam and outside of the Detriot Show directed by Tom Blair, there is little evidence that the Director of the remaining shows knows anything about the marching arts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Multi-cam bad. High cam good. 

High cam good, as long as it stays still 😁

• Like 4