Monday July 25 ... “DCI Mesquite” … Mesquite Memorial Stadium Mesquite, TEXAS

5 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Mandarins beat the cavies in percussion in SA by .9. Today cavies won by almost 1.5. That is a dramatic swing, 

Yeah, 1.7... how is a 2.6 pt swing in 2 days even possible. 😂

Edited by CAtenhut

3 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Mandarins beat the cavies in percussion in SA by .9. Today cavies won by almost 1.5. That is a dramatic swing, 

I’ve seen others say that percussion judges are the most likely to be unafraid to call a show by scoring them like they hear/see them. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I’ve seen others say that percussion judges are the most likely to be unafraid to call a show by scoring them like they hear/see them. 

I get it. A bad run is possible. Nothing is a given. They were 6th in percussion out of 9 corps. 

Edited by DFA1970

2 minutes ago, Metalbinky said:

Cavies during finals be like, please let percussion be judged by T.Hall while Mandies are saying anyone but T. Hall

Yeah. That was the sole reason mandarins was in 3rd. GE and visual captions mostly went to Mandarins against the Cavies. 

4 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Yeah. That was the sole reason mandarins was in 3rd. GE and visual captions mostly went to Mandarins against the Cavies. 

Percussion and Music Analysis by a total of 2.6, which equates to 1.3 in the total score, so it was all that. And I wouldn't be surprised if Cavies continue to improve musically, so Mandarins need to work hard to get more consistent. 

2 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

Percussion and Music Analysis by a total of 2.6, which equates to 1.3 in the total score, so it was all that. And I wouldn't be surprised if Cavies continue to improve musically, so Mandarins need to work hard to get more consistent. 

This weekend’s regional will pretty much determine who is where come finals. Full panel of judges. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lawdn said:

As a percussion (Front ensemble) person who has listened to many drum tapes for DCI I would say this is accurate. Drumlines are smaller than horn lines, and if one person is just a little out of focus it is very noticeable. Even the slightest error can throw off a long phrase. I am obviously not a brass person so I can’t compare apples to oranges, but yes absolutely it can happen. Also, where the judge is at a given time on the field is also a big factor not talked about much recently, but is definitely by the members i am sure

Edited by WarriorWay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WarriorWay said:

As a percussion (Front ensemble) person who has listened to many drum tapes for DCI I would say this is accurate. Drumlines are smaller than horn lines, and if one person is just a little out of focus it is very noticeable. Even the slightest error can throw off a long phrase. I am obviously not a brass person so I can’t compare apples to oranges, but yes absolutely it can happen. Also, where the judge is at a given time on the field is also a big factor not talked about much recently, but is definitely by the members i am sure

And it's quite impossible for the judges to see things exactly the same as each will have their focus on different things at any given point in the show.

I can say that the Colts have some very intelligent design choices when it comes to staging their percussion  where they want the judge to focus his attention.

• Like 1