Monday July 25 ... “DCI Mesquite” … Mesquite Memorial Stadium Mesquite, TEXAS

Cavies are getting more of their mojo back - fast!   Now that just about everyone is back and they are cleaning the drill at a tremendous rate,  you can see what a great drill they have.   I like their drill better than Crown, Bluecoats and SCV.  They passed Mardarins tonite and it looks possible they could be passing Bluestars next.  They could be the story of the year, as far as dealing with adversity.   Maybe they were lucky to get Covid early and not close to finals week.  They should have the immunity with the current variant for at least the next 3 weeks, before the next variant shows up.  Now,  what corps may or may not get Covid in the next 3 weeks could obviously make or break their season.  What corps are making the smart move and going into a bubble lock down until finals?  No outside contact.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CAtenhut said:

Yeah, 1.7... how is a 2.6 pt swing in 2 days even possible. 😂

Very simple.  A more accurate drum judge.  Listen closely for the dirt - you can tell.  I saw Mandarins multiple times in the lot in CA.   I think this is correct.  Plus this was a much smaller show than SA.   In the bigger shows the judges have to play games with their number management.  Such as, in a lot of sub captions a judge places every corps in a large group .1 down from the previous corps.  The corps at the end of that chain ends up way further down from the 1st corps than they should be.  I do not like this. There is nothing wrong with a tie in a sub caption,   if the judge honestly thinks they were equal.  Even a 3 or 4 way tie in a sub caption would be more honest than what we are seeing now.  The judges are obviously under orders not to give out ties, because you NEVER see one.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Metalbinky said:

Cavaliers eyeing Cadets... this should be fun

At the rate Cavies are improving,  this could be very possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

I’ve seen others say that percussion judges are the most likely to be unafraid to call a show by scoring them like they hear/see them. 

Yes, it's about time.  I hope T. Hall is also judging field percussion in finals.

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

This weekend’s regional will pretty much determine who is where come finals. Full panel of judges. 

Does that mean 2 field percussion judges?  Can't wait.

6 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Very simple.  A more accurate drum judge.  Listen closely for the dirt - you can tell.  I saw Mandarins multiple times in the lot in CA.   I think this is correct.  Plus this was a much smaller show than SA.   In the bigger shows the judges have to play games with their number management.  Such as, in a lot of sub captions a judge places every corps in a large group .1 down from the previous corps.  The corps at the end of that chain ends up way further down from the 1st corps than they should be.  I do not like this. There is nothing wrong with a tie in a sub caption,   if the judge honestly thinks they were equal.  Even a 3 or 4 way tie in a sub caption would be more honest than what we are seeing now.  The judges are obviously under orders not to give out ties, because you NEVER see one.

My numbers were wrong. Mandarins actually lost to Cavies Perc in SA by 0.2 so it wasn't that drastic. I thought someone here said Mandarins perc beat them in SA, but that isn't the case. Mandarins definitely have some things to work on if they want to stay in that 8-9 spot. 

18 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Watching the rebroadcast right now. Mandarins were missing their drumset player yesterday. That's a pretty key player to lose. If it's COVID, hope they feel better and will be back soon.

Don't know why "he's" out, but I do know that they were dealing with a stomach flu (not COVID) issue earlier in the season.

Edited by JohnDF
  • Thanks 1