Wednesday, July 27th ... “DCI Southern Mississippi” … M M Roberts Stadium Hattiesburg, MISSISSIPPI

Just now, Land of Tim said:

I like it too the more I see and hear it. I will admit that it's not my favorite musical book they've had, nor my favorite visual/thematic design.  But, it is getting better and better "post-COVID" and starting to get some of that Cavies swagger.  

I love some Little Fugue! Never get tired of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Definitely improved overall! That section’s just very exposed. They’ll get it. 

I agree; fingers crossed.  The complexity of that clip is that the horns are doing some pretty incredible playing there, but if the flags are not crisply in sync, then it takes away from the "wow" moment of the horn licks in the tempo changes.  Let's hope it all starts to sync even more cleanly as each day goes on!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRelic said:

GREENBLUE. Make that 5-Snares and 2-Tenors! They did get the 5th Bass Drum Back.

Wasn’t sure their exact drum numbers. Took a wild guess. Even worse. Sad.

Just now, mjyaub said:

I love some Little Fugue! Never get tired of it.

Love me some Little Fugue as well, and I like how they integrate it throughout.  I am not in love with the rest of the musical selections overall.  I'll keep listening though!!  (*And I really miss some of the most amazing drill for which they were once known!!)  But, that said, they have had some years recently that I love, including the Macabre, News, Men are from Mars, and Irish Wrong Side of the Track shows!

3 minutes ago, Land of Tim said:

I agree; fingers crossed.  The complexity of that clip is that the horns are doing some pretty incredible playing there, but if the flags are not crisply in sync, then it takes away from the "wow" moment of the horn licks in the tempo changes.  Let's hope it all starts to sync even more cleanly as each day goes on!!

Right. And they can’t rely on the rhythm to guide them when the tempo is shifting under their feet. Then, the front row has no one in front of them to guide to. So it’s got to be intuitive. I don’t envy them lol

• Like 1

OK, I feel incredibly "slow" about now...I am a huge Cavies fan--always have been, always will be--as well as other corps, and the activity in general. But, I have not been the biggest fan of the Cavies show this year--not considering the COVID, and the heroic effort of these members and staff!!!! The show has slowly grown on me, and each time they performed in the last week, it has improved and clarified a little bit each time.  As JWillis said, not sure where they will place, but that does not matter--what matters is the heart and development of talent that these young members have shown in the course of a very difficult summer.

Now, all that said--why do I feel "slow"? I, along with others on these fora, have lamented the brevity of their "jam" session about 3/4 in the show.  Until tonight, I did not get that they were replicating TikTok. I feel like a dummy...I still wish it did not seem disjointed and maybe, it has just taken me until now to figure out that they are telling us that it's a Tik Tok, but somehow I wish they could slide into and out of that segment with a little more connectivity, or maybe that's the point, that often a TikTok video is an abrupt disruption???  Feel free to correct my slow understanding of this segment!  DOH!!

15 min INTs are the worst because they’re not long enough to get into trouble but they’re long enough to make me impatient. I already finished a whole bowl of ice cream. Now I have to get a whole second bowl to have some to eat while Mandarins play. DCI’s fault IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Academy's show is still a fun listen without the visuals.  

Sure was!. But it also displays how vulnerable a Corps performance becomes with the loss of it's Electronic Audio Cues, Narration, Singing, Sound Effects, and soundscape/tonal  manipulation. In my 7-years of marching Corps back in the 20th Century, not ONCE did we experience nor had to fear of such a "loss."

• Like 1