Wednesday, July 27th ... “DCI Southern Mississippi” … M M Roberts Stadium Hattiesburg, MISSISSIPPI

11 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Phantom is quickly approaching those same levels of “sizzle” in their sound and I’m very much looking forward to their continued improvement. When Crown wants to they can also really BRING IT!! Do I think that was the case when I went to see them this year, unfortunately no haha especially with Vanguard performing after them, even with the field being so far from the stands I had to recoil frequently🔊🔊

im pretty sure you were the one saying you’re gonna go see all these amazing corps in Atlanta soon, and rest assured that every corps I mentioned will have that *sizzle* in their sound👀👀

With the caveat of never being sure of what I am hearing on Flo, I thought the PR brass had a noticeably more refined sound last night than at San Antonio.  Keep it coming!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, craiga said:

For the record,  I give us a 1 in 3 chance of getting past the Blue Devils at the end.  They have been a tremendous drum corps for decades.

But, if our friends from Concord do prevail, you'll hear no complaints from me.   No second guessing the judges, no disparagement of their show design or musical choices, and certainly no comments like they were slotted or benefitted from competitive inertia.

If BD wins, I know two things:

1. They were judged to be the best the night of finals.

2. Boston will return in 2023 for year 83.

You’ve certainly earned respect for your predictions from many!

What I love is that BAC will definitely go for first place, this year and for years to come - no disrespect for the other great corps who will do the same this year and into the future. Here’s to a great run to the finish!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Phantom is quickly approaching those same levels of “sizzle” in their sound and I’m very much looking forward to their continued improvement. When Crown wants to they can also really BRING IT!! Do I think that was the case when I went to see them this year, unfortunately no haha especially with Vanguard performing after them, even with the field being so far from the stands I had to recoil frequently🔊🔊

im pretty sure you were the one saying you’re gonna go see all these amazing corps in Atlanta soon, and rest assured that every corps I mentioned will have that *sizzle* in their sound👀👀

I’m personally not a huge fan of Crown’s sound. It’s very clean, it’s very balanced, but there isn’t any sizzle, it sounds a bit sterile to me. And the traditional voicing pyramid can get a bit monotonous to listen to, in my opinion. I know tons of people LOVE their sound and I can see why, more power to them! 

I agree phantom seems to have that sizzle this year, but I’ll have a better idea in a couple days, hopefully (hoping the rain goes away)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I know it’s not even a “sour grapes” thing or stuff of that nature, but it’s all as a result of how BD responds the year after losing quite emphatically, they earn their wins and they are favorites any given year until they are consistently being beaten in said year, I just won’t say that they’re due for one the year after a loss, that’s just a bridge too far for me

I agree. And I can respect that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’m personally not a huge fan of Crown’s sound. It’s very clean, it’s very balanced, but there isn’t any sizzle, it sounds a bit sterile to me. And the traditional voicing pyramid can get a bit monotonous to listen to, in my opinion. I know tons of people LOVE their sound and I can see why, more power to them! 

I agree phantom seems to have that sizzle this year, but I’ll have a better idea in a couple days, hopefully (hoping the rain goes away)

I’m sure Crown fans also would enjoy them taking more risks in their sound. I enjoy a clean sound, but I also enjoy a sound that can be a mix of raw power, grittiness, and emotion, a mix of corps provide one of 3, 2 of 3, and potentially all 3. I think Crown really only provides power this year when I know in other years they can do all three, it didn’t hit me as much as Vanguard literally *HITS* you

And yes, Phantom keeps your attention on them and their hornline the WHOLE show, it was simply awesome. Considering who’s arranging for them now, you could call them a “Vanguard lite” but even then their own identity shines through with this musical program

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

giphy.gif

But honestly I'm just enjoying the season.  Could BAC do it? Possibly.  It won't be easy. 

If they do, I'd be looking forward to what BD brings next year to go undefeated and turn the activity on it's head!

She’s wearing white but the hologram has rendered her blue … Leia playing fair as always, smdh

4 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

I dont really feel BD's GE is better than anyone else's, in fact, sometimes I find their content boring (in the top 4/5), however they execute extremely well in all areas which does captivate you when you watch, which for me, I guess is their general effect. And certainly not that other corps do not execute well. Just seems BD is always that much better.  

That has always been my beef.  Their achievement scores are deservedly at or near the top, but that should not (as it almost always does) translate to the GE boxes.  Waaayyy too many of their shows that have won didn't seem to connect with many in any effective way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

With the caveat of never being sure of what I am hearing on Flo, I thought the PR brass had a noticeably more refined sound last night than at San Antonio.  Keep it coming!

San Antonio will wake up any corps to their own power. How corps and their staffs react to that can define the rest of their seasons.

I just hate that it's such an otherwise grueling place to tour.

1 hour ago, MBo1974 said:

That has always been my beef.  Their achievement scores are deservedly at or near the top, but that should not (as it almost always does) translate to the GE boxes.  Waaayyy too many of their shows that have won didn't seem to connect with many in any effective way.

I haven't seen the "sheets" in a long time, I believe someone had posted an older version of them years ago. But none of them included "show connects well with audience" on there. And why should it? It would reduce the variety of shows we get. There's room for both the crowd pleasing and esoteric shows in drum corps. 

I do believe DCI had amended the sheets at one point that would allow the judges to "consider" audience response but it is far from a major set of criteria for GE. GE is mostly about how well a corps communicates their show concept and how well the pieces of a show fit together and how well altogether do they deliver the effect/concept. And with keeping that in mind, BD does all of those things well.