Saturday, August 6th “DCI Eastern Classic” J Birney Crum Stadium Allentown, PENNSYLVANIA

Quite Simply: What a "CROWNING" ACHIEVEMENT Tonight.  RIGHT ON !

• Like 1

Crown might be cheesy, but fans respond really well to the show in person. The heads-sticking-out-of-the-tarp thing always gets a great reaction.

• Like 4

Just now, jasgre2000 said:

I don’t hate it. Just has some weaknesses in the design that don’t make a lot of sense (to me, at least).

If a high school marching band did this, I’d probably enjoy it. But it’s just like… you’re Carolina Crown!! Top tier drum corps with stellar musicians and color guard, insane performance levels. Then, you pair it with that show. Why?! I want Crown to be amazing, I really do!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

Less fabric than Inferno, but every use (maybe not the fluegel soloist) was meaningful, memorable, and fit so well. The pop of the first flyover before the haunting minor chord, the hellscape in the ballad, the chaos movement in the closer that gets covered by the flyover to only reveal a crystal clear crown logo, the ending ascension… I’ve got several gripes about that show, but it was one of the best uses of fabric ever.

This year’s Crown… I give the 2nd movement a B- on the fabric funhouse and an F for the ballad. Man, Blue Devils would get thrashed by Crown fans if they didn’t change the visual feel of their ballad for 90 seconds and stood mostly still. A real headscratcher.

I’ve been waiting for them to restage the ballad, but looks unlikely to happen at this point. Ever since they added the tarp, I’m unclear where to look - the moving tarp full of heads on the right, the roughly same size blob of low brass and sabres on the left, or the battery inching forward in the back. 

There is a lot competing for attention and an odd split focus arrangement.

• Like 1

...and no shakeups in placements from anytime in the season.

5 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

This. Exactly. For me, their design team has been a disappointment since 2015. They just can't put together a winning design and this year it seems like the mentality was "let's do everything we possibly can in hopes to win" and it's all just a big mess visually.

It’s a big disappointment. E=MC2 is one of the best designed shows ever, IMO. I know it’s not the same staff, but I keep expecting more from Crown. They’ve done good shows since then, but not close to that level.

• Like 1