Finals Announcer

I saw his Facebook post from last night saying he isn’t retiring. I’m so glad 

• Like 3

There is a guy who announces (or used to, at least) the Cadets/US Bands shows.  Really great voice, I think he actually worked on SXM.  

But there are some people who are just identified with an organization.  Brandt is our version of the late Bob Sheppard of the Yankees:  An icon.  He should be allowed to stay on in a meaningful (perhaps reduced) capacity, even if Damp takes over primary announcing duties at some point. 

After all, it's a long day/weekend and Brandt is not 40 anymore.  No wonder he's sounding fatigued.  Someone mentioned him reading the scores...if he's amenable to that WHEN THE TIME COMES, having just read he's not retiring, it's a great idea.

Unrelated aside:  They mentioned that he's announced all 50 (well, 49) Finals.  I thought there was a reason he missed Montreal.  At least I recall a guy with a Quebecois accent saying "You may take the field for competition" on the recordings.

Edited by Phillygwm

Brandt is iconic and does a great job (and I love how he introduced Troopers and Colts last night, much like how he introduced Mandarins in 2018). But somebody PLEASE help that guy correctly pronounce the DMs’ names. That was pretty hard to hear each night. Maybe corps can include phonetic spellings in the future (this honestly would help most announcers). 

His pronounciation of Nirvana got me dying😂😂😂 "SCV is proud to present... Finding Nerve Anna"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

His pronounciation of Nirvana got me dying😂😂😂 "SCV is proud to present... Finding Nerve Anna"

He consistently pronounced Mandarins’ DM Justin Nguyen as “NOO-gen.” Even though when he was announcing the finals judging panel he correctly pronounced Hieu Nguyen. 🤣

45 minutes ago, brassboy said:

He consistently pronounced Mandarins’ DM Justin Nguyen as “NOO-gen.” Even though when he was announcing the finals judging panel he correctly pronounced Hieu Nguyen. 🤣

Not saying this is the reason, but I've had two people in my life (college roommate and then a co-worker) with the same last name, and one does prefer it pronounced "Noo-yen" while the other prefers it pronounced "Win".

Just now, Musicman1084 said:

Not saying this is the reason, but I've had two people in my life (college roommate and then a co-worker) with the same last name, and one does prefer it pronounced "Noo-yen" while the other prefers it pronounced "Win".

That would be fine. But he pronounced it like “Nugent” without a T. 

DCI should give Brandt the opportunity to go as long he wants. 

It would be nice for him to go out at his circuit's big championship event as he sees fit.

Unlike someone else I know. 🙄😎😂

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1